Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I have a 4.5 year old daughter and have been having alot of

HI. I have a 4.5...
HI. I have a 4.5 year old daughter and have been having alot of behavioral issues with her. She is constantly talking back, acting out and she argues about everything. I have tried time outs, rewards for good behavior, taking toys away and nothing really seems to help. I am also concerned that she may be keeping things from me. How do i know when I need to take her to a psychologist or someone for help?
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/30/2011
Brad The Therapist
Brad :

Thank you for your question. Before providing recommendations, I have a few questions. When did these behaviors first start? What makes you concern that she is hiding something?

JACUSTOMER-ja5rwn9r- :

well she has always kinda been head strong but it seems like this past year she has gotten worse with her attitude and bad behavior. We live with my mom and she also has visitation with her dads parents. I think shes hiding something because every time i ask her about how her visitation was she kinda tries to avoid the whole topic which really makes me worry. When she does happen to mention anything about the visit its always something nasty like sexual or something inappropriate for her age.

Brad :

What sexual comments does she make?

JACUSTOMER-ja5rwn9r- :

well for example a couple of weeks ago she mentioned that her grandmother was taking showers with her which is really weird to me considering she can take her own baths with very little supervision. She has started saying sex a lot like she understands what it means. She says it in the correct contents a majority of the time and we do not talk about that at out house. She has also has been having this obsession with having babies.Like she knows in detail about it like shes seen it in a movie or something. That is not so much sexual but it kinda set off an alarm. Those are the most recent that i can remember.

Brad :

what do you mean by correct content about sex?

JACUSTOMER-ja5rwn9r- :

like she will be playing with her barbies and will like rub them together and say something like "ken lets sex in the bathroom." So what i mean is she will use the word correctly in sentences like she understands

Brad :

I see...that is definitely disconcerting...have you asked her how she learned about the word "sex"

JACUSTOMER-ja5rwn9r- :

yes i asked her and she just avoids it completely or acts like she doesnt know what im talkign about.

Brad :

I see...have you asked her father if he or his mother noticed any peculiar behaviors by her?

JACUSTOMER-ja5rwn9r- :

Her dad is not really in the picture, he is in the army. As for his mom she doesnt ever seem to notice anything.

Brad :

Do you know if there are anyone else in the household when with the paternal grandmother

JACUSTOMER-ja5rwn9r- :

She has a lot of relatives that come over constantly . But its just her and her husband that live in the house.

Brad :

and her husband is the father or stepfather of your daughter's dad?

JACUSTOMER-ja5rwn9r- :

He is the step dad.

Brad :

My suggestion for you at this point is to take your daughter to a psychologist regarding your concerns. A child psychologist with experience with trauma is the person you should look for

JACUSTOMER-ja5rwn9r- :

ok thank you so much

Brad :

In the meantime, please continue to tell your daughter about

Brad :

safety

Brad :

and that she should not feel bad if someone is inappropriately touching her

JACUSTOMER-ja5rwn9r- :

ok i def will

Brad :

I wish you the best

JACUSTOMER-ja5rwn9r- :

Thank you.

Brad :

Please consider pressing the "accept" button for me to receive credit for this questins.

Brad The Therapist
Brad The Therapist
Brad The Therapist
Brad The Therapist, LCPC