How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr John B Your Own Question
Dr John B
Dr John B, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 557
Experience:  PhD in Clinical Psychology, registered clinical psychologist.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr John B is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a patient that has been diagnosed with Bipolar II,

Resolved Question:

I am a patient that has been diagnosed with Bipolar II, Major depressive disorder, PTSD and severe social anxiety disorder. I was in a severe car accident last year that involved multiple skull fractures, coma, amnesia. I was in a hospital or skilled nursing facility for one year. I eventually had to have a partial amputation due to MRSA setting in. The facility and physician at that facility did some grave injustices and I will have to live with the consequences for the rest of my life. I also developed Narcolepsy after the TBI. The accident happened in another state and when I was forced out of the nursing facility I came back to my home state, thinking I would have a support system. I was wrong. Each day I get more and more depressed and my anxiety has started increasing daily. I was so proud of myself because for months I had it pretty much under control. I desperately need counseling. I can not find a clinic in Florida that will see me unless I have Medicaid and I can not qualify for regular Medicaid because my disability is too much! I have went through counseling most of my adult life and have been on medications for several years. I am almost out of my medicines, believe I may need them adjusted and definitely need counseling. Can you please give me some advice? I am always so much better when I am in a good therapy program.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr John B replied 5 years ago.


I'm very sorry to hear of the situation. There are several organizations that may be able to assist you in finding affordable services in your area. Try contacting each of the following and see if they are able to help you find a low-cost/free therapy service:

You can contact The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services here for assistance with locating federally-funded health centers in your area. These centers can provide services even if you have no health insurance. You pay what you can afford, based on your income. These centers provide health, mental health and substance abuse services. Type in your address and click the 'Find Health Centers' button to find health centers near you.

You can contact the National Alliance on Mental Health here. NAMI are a consumer organization that has a network of local branches that can provide a wealth of information on the kind of services offered locally.

You can contact Mental Health America here. The MHA website contains lots of information regarding mental health issues, treatment options and available resources.

You can contact the United Way here for assistance with finding low cost mental health services in your local area.

You can contact the American Psychology Association (APA) for assistance with locating a Psychologist who charges on a sliding scale; take a look at the APA locator
service here. You can use this to find Psychologists in your area and there is a phone number you can contact if you want a referral arranged for you. Also, take a look at an
article published by the APA here. It's an interview with a senior Psychologist and covers some of the things you should consider when are you looking for a Psychologist.

I hope this has been of some help. Please let me know if you have further questions or would like me to clarify any part of my answer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I appreciate your response. I have checked into some of the organizations you have mentioned and will definitely check out the rest. I am just starting to get concerned because I have not felt depression like this in a very long time. I had forgotten how terrible it feels. the past year was very traumatic and I am one of those people that blocks out the most painful experiences for as long as I can. I know this is not healthy. It is my coping mechanism. I wish I could find something that would make me happy again.
Expert:  Dr John B replied 5 years ago.

It certainly sounds like it is time to get professional help. As a resource you can use right now take a look at this excellent Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) based self-help´program here. It should take several weeks to complete, is completely free and will teach you everything you need to know about Depression and what you can do about it. I use it with my patients regularly and I find it to be very useful.

I hope this helps.

Dr John B and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you