Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

Is there a medical test to confirm bipolar disorder or is it

Customer Question
only by observation...
is there a medical test to confirm bipolar disorder or is it only by observation
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mental Health
12/21/2011
Mental Health Professional: MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist replied 6 years ago
MN Psychiatrist
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Hello, I am a psychiatrist.
To answer your question, there is no blood test, lab test, or brain scan that can determine if someone has bipolar disorder; the diagnosis is made by clinical observation and history of the patient.
MN Psychiatrist
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
any suggestions on how to convince my daughter to seek help for her problems
It depends on what her problems are. Is she bipolar, or is this unclear? What can you tell me about her problems?
extreme mood changes, difficult to deal with, does not want to go to school, erratic sleep habits,ie sleeps all day then stays up 24 hours, not really depressed but very quiet keeps to herself, lack of self confidence, complains of headaches and stomachaches regularly. Sometimes wakes up in the middle of the night talking and yelling, has a tendency to be mean and does not show remorse, she does not take responsibility for her actions instead blames me her mom for all the things that go wrong. I should tell you we adopted her as an infant from Russia, she is now 14 years old.
It's often futile to try to convince a 14-year-old that she needs to be helped until after she already is helped and can see that she's doing better for getting that help.

Since she's 14, you have leverage (namely, limiting her cell phone use, computer/Facebook use, etc.), though, and that is what I would implement in order to get her to go her psychiatrist/therapist (and talk to them). I suspect that unless you do this, you will have an incredibly difficult time getting her to comply, and it is important that she get used to getting help now, because as she gets older and older, it will be harder and harder.
thank you for your insight i will definitely try to get her to get help.
Sounds good.
MN Psychiatrist
MN Psychiatrist
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist