How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark Manley Your Own Question
Mark Manley
Mark Manley, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 402
Experience:  Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. Over 15 years exp. Married 30 years and happy.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Mark Manley is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter is 24 years old and is self harming quite badly.

This answer was rated:

My daughter is 24 years old and is self harming quite badly. She took an overdose a few weeks ago and says she is still feeling suicidal. I have tried to get her to see her GP but she is refusing. I would like to know if I have her sectioned under the mental health act in the uk. Please help, don't know what else to do.
I am sorry your daughter is in such a bad way. Does she live with you? If you are currently fearful for her safety because you believe she is suicidal then you should call the police. In the USA the police have authority to take someone they think is suicidal for evaluation and then the person can be held involuntarily for up to 72 hours in a treatment facility. I am sure there is some similar provision in the UK.
If she is not suicidal and she needs help then you use whatever economic or social leverage you have to get her to agree to be evaluated.
Do you believe she is an immediate danger to herself or does she just need to be evaluated for outpatient treatment?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.


Yes my daugther does live with me, but will not see a doctor. She thinks she doesn't need help and said she wants me to just let her die. She is sucidal although she hasn't actully attempted suicide yet, it will only be a matter of time and this is why I am worried.

Thanks for the additional information.
You need to get her evaluated and treated. Unfortunately your efforts to do this may instigate a small war but her life and health are worth it. She lives with you because she needs you. Her need for you may be emotional or financial or both.
Let her know that you are not willing to leave her alone to die. Also let her know that you are willing to fight with her on the issue if necessary (not physically). If she senses that doing battle with you is going to be more uncomfortable than going to the doctor for evaluation and treatment she will probably choose to see the doctor. In all your uncomfortable interactions with her you can keep yourself in the fight by reminding yourself that it is better to fight her illness, than to just let her die.
After you express your strong intention to her you just start with consistent persuasion i.e. you tell her about your concerns for her health and safety, you tell her she needs to agree to see doctor, you tell her you are not willing to leave the issue alone. If she gets belligerent and loud back off for a bit and then when she has cooled down resume your persuasion. Don't get sidetracked into superfluous arguments or non relevant issues, stay on one track (daughter needs evaluation and treatment). If she becomes violent or self endangering in the process call the police and have them come to the house. Stay with the one goal (daughter in evaluation and treatment) until it is accomplished don't get side tracked onto other objectives.
If there are other friends or family members who feel the same as you and are willing to help, enlist them to the cause.
Be willing to remove any financial privileges you may be providing to her if necessary.
Best of success to you.
Mark Manley
Please click on 'Accept' so I get credit for my time and expertise, and if you have further questions let me know.
Mark Manley and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you