Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice
50444359

When i was a teenager i was diagnosed with schizoid-type

When i was a teenager i was diagnosed with schizoid-type borderline personality disorder. I always thought that diagnosis was incorrect because i am not over-emotional or "needy" in any way. In fact most people, when asked, describe me as "laid back". A couple of years ago i did the online Aspergers quiz and scored 42, which is pretty high. I am currently being treated for depression caused by loss of a relationship. I have only had one session so far. The therapist said i display a lot of autistic traits and behaviours but also said he doesn't yet know me well enough to feel comfortable in positing a diagnosis of Aspergers. Is BPD, especially the schizoid type, often misdiagnosed instead of one of the autism spectrum disorders?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.

Hi! I believe I can be of help with this issue.

This is a fascinating question you ask. I have to begin, though, by saying that Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) and Schizoid Personality Disorder (SPD) are not compatible diagnoses. There is no such "type" in BPD as schizoid type.Whoever diagnosed this was mistaken. I've worked in therapy with personality disorders as well as Asperger Syndrome (AS)

In fact, BPD and SPD are on separate areas of the classic continuum of personality types. BPD is characterized by emotional overwhelm. Meaning the person is flooded with emotion. SPD is characterized by emotional flatness--coldness and indifference. BPD is characterized by relationship intensity and giving of great importance to relationships. SPD is the opposite: no interest in relationships. BPD is characterized by sexual acting out. SPD is characterized by lack of interest in sex with a partner. See what I mean?

Now this is where your question gets really fascinating:

Asperger Syndrome (AS) is not a personality disorder; it's a developmental disorder. That's a fine line for non-professionals. It has some similar features to SPD and is never (in my experience) misdiagnosed as BPD!

The emotional flatness and lack of interest in relationships that characterize SPD can look like AS. With AS, the person doesn't have a lack of interest, but a lack of ability. Again, this is hard to explain in other than professional terms.

So, the bot***** *****ne is that SPD and AS could be misdiagnosed one for the other.

Okay, I wish you the very best!

Please remember to click the green accept button because: even though you have made a deposit, I do not get paid for my time unless you press ACCEPT. Feel free to continue the discussion as my goal is to get you the best answer possible. You can continue the discussion even after pressing ACCEPT. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue, just put "for Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, ***** *****