How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Rossi Your Own Question
Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 4627
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Rossi is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband suffered many blows to the head, and now wonders

Resolved Question:

My husband suffered many blows to the head, and now wonders if they could be the reason for his difficulty in learning and such. Is that a possibility? If so, what could we do about it?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 5 years ago.



Physical trauma to the head as well as the subsequent emotional/psychological state and stress that he could have experienced can all be related to this. For example,exposure to persistent severe stress states can cause actual damage to the brain

He may also be suffering from PTSD (he'd want to be evaluated for this face to face by a mental health professional)

Another possibility for the learning difficulty may be an actual case of LD (learning disability) or ADD. Cognitive behavioral therapy had been show effective in addressing the latter.

Supplementing with Omega fatty acids and amino acids has also been used along with Piracetam 800 (over t he counter)


Now, regarding treatment options, what has been found helpful is neurofeedback, EMDR (eye movement desensitization therapy) because of the neuroplasticity of the brain (resiliency) and ability to regenerate itself and establish new neural pathways.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Would a mental health professional be the only type of doctor to see? Or is there also other doctors that would be good to see? Also, can you give me an estimate of what I could expect to spend? We don't have health insurance at the moment.
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 5 years ago.
A neurologist can rule out physical brain damage/brain lesions with the use of MRI. Generally a mental health professional would be the right person to see. You may want to check with your community mental health centers in your area- they serve individuals w/o commercial insurance and usually use a minimum sliding scale based on income. If you use a private provider, the fees would be based on what is considered customary and usual fees for that sort of professional in your area and may be anywhere from $60-$120+ an hour. Hence, using a community mental health professional is the more cost effective route. You can find these centers online for your state or by calling the United Way toll free #211 from a land line.
Dr. Rossi and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions