How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Olsen Your Own Question
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2336
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Olsen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question about anxiety and stress. I think i have

Resolved Question:

I have a question about anxiety and stress. I think i have been under alot of stress and anxiety since probably the beginning of October of this year. I think that i am a person who can be neurotic about some things and ocd on others. This has affected my intimacy with my fiancee and has made it worse with our relationship. I believe my stress and anxiety has increased probably due to buying a home and taking a paycut from my job. Currently i'm the breadwinner and she doesnt work for now(its been over a year) due to a legal issue which makes it harder for her to find employment. She also has a medical issue with endometriosis which has her in constant pain until i get her into surgery once we make the appointment later in December. I pay more bills now and have less money to spend and i feel stressed out about that. I worry that i wont have enough like living check to check. I drive a long distance to work which is something new to me and always worry that my car is going to crap out on me. My fiancee and i had argued alot on the past and thats something that she had admitted that she had gave me too much grief and would back off from being like that, but i also i took responsibility with my words actions when i had issues as well. But i think since the last 2 or 2.5 months, it has been difficult, especially with intimacy issues.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for writing in here.
I am so sorry to hear about your situation.
It sounds like you have anxiety issues.
Your anxiety seems to be natural as you are experiencing financial pressure from buying a home and taking a paycut from your job.
Financial situation and your stress may put lots of stress in your relationship.
I would advise you to try stress reduction techniques and psychological counseling in this challenging time.
A heart-healthy diet may improve your brain functioning and mood. Focus on fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Choose low-fat protein sources, such as fish, lean meat and skinless poultry. Hydrate yourself during daytime.
Physical activity increases blood flow to your whole body, including your brain. This may help improve your mood.
Also, stress reduction and relaxation techniques such as yoga, biofeedback, acupuncture, meditation and massage therapy may help to reduce anxiety and improve your mood.
If you are open to counseling, I would advise you to work with a psychologist WEEKLY for 6 months or longer.
You may benefit from having a Cognitive-Behavior therapy. CBT is effective for anxiety and OCD.
You can call your insurance company and get a list of providers in your area.
Or, you can search a licensed psychotherapist or a counselor on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to ( and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as anxiety. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Cognitive-Behavior therapy (CBT).
You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that you want to work with – Male or female? Old or young? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you can see it as an informational meeting. You can ask any question. You can also negotiate psychotherapy fee and number of sessions.
If you need a low fee counseling or have no health insurance, you may call The United Way toll free # 211 (Dial 2-1-1)to find the community mental health centers in your area in which you can get counseling even without health insurance.
Additionally, you may benefit from attending a support group for young adults with anxiety. To find a group therapy or a support group, contact a local hospital or a clinic by asking if they offer a group for people with anxiety.
If you like to find a support group online, check Mental Health America website section ( - Find a group in your area.
There are support groups websites. The Daily Strength ( offer support groups for people with a variety of problems including anxiety.
I hope you get well with all available help.
Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,
P.S. Please remember to click the green ACCEPT button. You do not get charged twice; I will continue to answer your question whenever I am back online; my goal is to get you the best answers possible. If I can be of further help with any issue, just put "for Dr. Olsen" in the front of your new question. All the best, ***** *****
Dr. Olsen and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions