How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Mark Your Own Question
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5334
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Mark is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Daughter is 27 and has suicidal tendencies,cries all the

Resolved Question:

My Daughter is 27 and has suicidal tendencies,cries all the time,angry at everyone, and is hearing things where in Spring Texas can I find the right doctor to take her to. I beleive she is both manic and bi polar, but I am not an authority pleasew advise
thank you
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.

Hi! You know, to give you the best answer, I think I should ask you a few questions first that will help define the problem and the situation.

I am confused. You took her to a physician who did not refer her to a psychiatrist for evaluation for Bipolar Disorder or a psychotic disorder? Is that right?

That sounds strange. What was the physician's diagnosis? What was this costly program?

Does she have health insurance? A job and income?

Has she been diagnosed with any disorder? Has she had any treatment in the past? What type? How did it go?

Any extra information that will help, feel free to share.

Dr. Mark

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No, she has only seen my physician because my daughter does not have insurance, she referred her to a county facility in Houston, She does have a job, and does it well, but she gets angry primairly with her closest, the family that loves her the most.At this point, instead of going to a county facility, I am willing to pay what ever it cost to have her treated. She at times has no desire to live. Her father passed away 17 years ago, and has never gotten over it. I need a referred psychiatrist that can treat her immediately

thank you

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the added information. It helps a lot. I believe I can now be of help with this issue.

I can imagine how worrisome this situation must be for you. You are clearly a loving and caring parent. And your daughter does need immediate help. However, you need to understand more about how the medical system works today so you can get results rather than frustration. Okay?

The first thing: psychiatrists today do not see new patients immediately. It can take weeks to months to get in. They are ALL busy. Second, they are very expensive. It will be quite a few hundred dollars if you pay out of pocket before you are through the initial evaluations and initial treatment visits and med adjustment visits. Psychiatrists are expensive.

You need if you can, then, to get her public insurance. That means Medicaid if she will qualify. You need to Google "How to apply for Medicaid {name of your city, county, state}". Then sort through the responses. You are only interested in the ones that have .gov or .org as the type of website. Don't respond to the commercial sites. You are looking for how to apply for Medicaid in your state. Each city or county has its own office and you will need to apply there. They'll tell you if she's making too much or not.

Once they assign a Medicaid number to you, you can ask them what the website address is for their "provider's list". You then want to look through the provider's list and find a psychiatrist who will work with her. You want to then Google "{your state} medical licensing board". Call them or look in their online database to see if there have been any actions taking by the board against this psychiatrist. Please do not skip this step, okay?

Now, all this will take time. So, you need to get her to the ER of the closest big city hospital with a good psychiatric department. Tell them all the symptoms at the ER. And ask the ER docs if one of the psychiatric residents could come and evaluate her or even if they would admit her for a few days for observation and treatment. She's indigent, so it needs to be a big city hospital. Don't' opt for going on the weekend as the main docs aren't working in the psych unit then. Ask the treating docs if there's an outpatient part of the hospital's psychiatric unit she could work with to treat her on an ongoing basis.

This is the fastest way to get treatment, though it's not a certainty they will admit her. So you'll need to make sure not to minimize her symptoms.

Long term, she needs to get on public insurance so she can go to the county mental health agency at the very least. I work one day a month on a team with the docs at a county agency and they try their best. Once she has a diagnosis and meds prescribed, you can begin to think about psychotherapy for her.

Okay, I wish you the very best!

Please remember to click the green accept button because: even though you have made a deposit, I do not get paid for my time unless you press ACCEPT. Feel free to continue the discussion as my goal is to get you the best answer possible. You can continue the discussion even after pressing ACCEPT. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue, just put "for Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, ***** *****

Dr. Mark and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you