Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

What is the best way to stop masturbating

Customer Question
what is the best way to stop masturbating
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mental Health
11/30/2011
Mental Health Professional: Karyn Jones, Mental Health Professional replied 6 years ago
Karyn Jones
Karyn Jones, Mental Health Professional
Hi thank you for bringing your very real concerns to Just Answer..and I hope to be of help to you and completely understand your concerns.. .

USE MIND-TEHNIQUES (BREATHING TEHNIQUES) TO CALM YOUR BODY/MIND AND GET YOU IN A TOTAL BODY/BRAIN RELAX STATE , AND TO HELP YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM TO CHANNEL THE ENERGY FLOW THROUGH YOU... LOOK UP "MIND TEHNIQUES" AND/OR TAI CHI CHUAN ... IT HAS MANY BENEFITS. ONE OF THEM IS TO STORE AND CONTROL ENERGY...

3) TRY TO REST FOR A GOOD FEW WEEKS WITHOUT HAVING SEX...

4) BEFORE EJACULATING (while masturbating) TRY TO THINK OF FOOTBALL/SOCCER (SOMETHING THAT DOES NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH SEX) AND focus UPON that..

5) EXERCISE A LOT MORE.AS THIS WILL HELP TO TIRE YOU OUT..AND RELEASE TENSION

This might also be a helpful thing for you to you.. it is true over-masturbation will lead to sexual under performance by way of premature ejaculation, as well as other sexual problems. “Over-production of sex hormones”
Normally, masturbation is a healthy sexual behavior. But like other behaviors , when over practiced it (maximum 2 times a week) can lead to both psychological and physiological imbalances. Frequent masturbation and ejaculation will stimulate the acetylcholine/parasympathetic nervous functions...and excessive masturbation and ejaculation can, and often times will, result in over-production of sex hormones and neurotransmitters such as acetylcholine, dopamine and serotonin. An unnatural abundance of these hormones and neurotransmitters can cause the brain and adrenal glands to perform excessive dopamine-norepinephrine-epinephrine conversion, in turn, making the brain and bodily functions perform at an extreme level. In other words, there is a huge change in body chemistry when one masturbates excessively. This leads into
Premature Ejaculation and other frustrating sexual side effects.

You have also been very proactive in trying to control this well done..
Focus on the above with a mind to being consistent and I am sure it will have the right results..
Keep up with prayer/meditation also as this will work well with the above..
All the best take good care now..
Please 'accept' my response if it has been helpful as it contributes much by way of keeping this service going in the future..
Very best wishes
Karyn J (ClinicalProfDipCBmin))
Karyn Jones
Karyn Jones, Mental Health Professional
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I just want to know how I can Stop masturbating altogether
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I would like to know what is the best way to stop masturbating altogether.
Mental Health Professional: Suzanne, Mental Health Professional replied 6 years ago
Suzanne
Suzanne, Mental Health Professional

All the techniques suggested by the first expert are accurate.

However, you may want to try hypnosis if you are determined to stop this habit.

Hypnosis can be structured to make the desire for the habit go away completely.

However, be very sure you want to completely do away with this habit. I would suggest finding a licensed therapist (LCSW, LPC, MFT) who is also certified in hypnosis for this treatment. That way, if there are any psychological issues that come up during treatment, they will know how to handle it. Here's a directory of therapists in your area, and you can then narrow it down to those who specialize in hypnosis.

http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_search.php

Relist: Answer quality.
Hypnosis is not a solution im looking for.
Mental Health Professional: MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist replied 6 years ago
MN Psychiatrist
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Hello, I am a psychiatrist.
As you know, this can be really hard to decrease or stop.
I don't know if you'd be interested in this, but at times it is very helpful to take an SSRI (serotonin antidepressant), such as Paxil, Zoloft, Prozac, or Celexa, as these very commonly decrease sex drive and one's general interest in sex. I've used them successfully for this purpose at times in people who are really, really frustrated by how much they think about sex and/or masturbate. Those patients have been very grateful for having something that has been that kind of a help for them. If you're interested, reply back and I'll tell you more. Otherwise, between what the other experts have already said, and this, you've pretty much already heard what is available to help you with this.
Does this make sense?
It does, and I understand if I've exhausted my options. I mean im on day 17 without answering the addiction, just cold-turkey, lots of prayer... but its haaaard. Im kind of wary about taking meds though too. Thank you for your answer.
Most people on these medications complain about this very side effect. In your case, you may feel it is a blessing. Again, at times, for various reasons, I have prescribed them for people struggling with the same issue you have, or wanting to abstain from sex, etc., and they can definitely help.

At small doses, they may very subtly reduce your interest in sex and/or tend to make it take longer before you can ejaculate. At higher doses, they can make it downright difficult to get/maintain an erection and ejaculate. This might sound like it would be even more frustrating, but since they decrease sexual desire, it doesn't feel like that for most people who want to feel less sexual.

Any of the ones I mentioned earlier are available in generic form. Paxil is the most potent of the bunch in terms of interfering with sexual functioning, but it also tends to have the most side effects (feeling tired). That said, many people take it and do just fine without any complaints whatsoever. Celexa, Zoloft, and Prozac tend to be well tolerated in general. None of them are addicting, but when you want to stop taking them, they should be reduced over time, rather than abruptly stopped.

While these are antidepressant medications, they are commonly prescribed by general doctors and family doctors, so you need not see a psychiatrist. However, a psychiatrist would likely be more familiar with having patients take them for this reason.

If you were to start one of these, I'd think that you could have some significant relief within a couple of weeks. That said, they work gradually, so the longer you're on them, the more benefit is received, up to a point (usually about 6 weeks at a given dose).
I hope this helps.