Mark Manley
Mark Manley, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. Over 15 years exp. Married 30 years and happy.
56283723

I find myself kneeding with my feet like cats do. I dont realize

I find myself kneeding with my feet like cats do. I don't realize most of the time that I do it, but when not consciencely trying to stop the kneeding it can last for hours. It only happens when im laying down or sitting without shoes. Why do I do this? It drives my roommate crazy!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Mark Manley replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question.

This is probably just a way that you disperse nervous energy or it is one of your ways of comforting yourself.

Awareness is the first step in the change process so congratulations on taking step one.

Now that you are aware of the behavior you can systematically decrease it. Try not to make it go away all at once. And try not to be upset with your self when you realize out of the blue "oops I'm doing it again and I didn't even know it."

You may want to consider a Yoga class to help you increase your mind body connection and your body awareness. If you are carrying extra nervous energy, Yoga can be a release for that too.

If you find you are doing this behavior as a way to provide your self with comfort then you may change the behavior by learning to be more aware of your need for comfort and what brings the need up. Learning new ways of self comfort may be helpful in this case as well. If you suspect this is a self comforting issue and you don't progress well on your own consider getting a little therapy from a psychologist to assist you.

Best of success to you.
Sincerely, XXXXX