How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr John B Your Own Question
Dr John B
Dr John B, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 557
Experience:  PhD in Clinical Psychology, registered clinical psychologist.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr John B is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 18 and I just got in a university, one month now, which

This answer was rated:

hello,I am 18 and I just got in a university, one month now, which I don't know if it's what I wanna do in my life, and I really feel I like I am going to mess up... I see it coming but I feel like I can't stop it... I am never in the mood to do anything. During the summer I failed my driving lisence and at end of august I went to germany to learn german and for some reason I don't know I couldn't adapt and I messed up there too... so I came back and started the uni mentioned above. I tend to keep with myself, oversleep or push my self to sleep, and many times I wanna start crying...Morever I feel really cold all the time and tired. I find it hard to enjoy my life, the things I loved before, even my relationship with my gf... I feel like I always let her down. well sometimes I guess I really do... and when I am with her I can't relax because everything is spinning in my head. But recently I try hard pretending I am fine although I don't feel like it... my mother believes that I should take med treatment or visit some therapist but I fight it on my own... what should i do to stop the negative toughts coming in my head? to stop analysing if I am doing the right thing? the only thing I need is some peace of mind, start enjoying everyting I loved before and feel like I help and make happy the people I care for...
I am not us-citizen.


I'm very sorry to hear of the situation. From your description it sounds very much like you have developed a degree of Depression and my recommendation would be that you get an assessment quickly so that you can be treated properly. You can obtain an assessment from either a Clinical Psychologist or a Psychiatrist and if Depression is confirmed then you should commence treatment ASAP.

The main treatment approaches for Depression are anti-depressant medication, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) or a combination of the two. I can recommend this excellent website here as a starting point for learning more about the treatment of Depression.

The recommended sequence of treatments to try is:

1) Self-help using a CBT based program

2) CBT with a therapist

3) CBT & an antidepressant medication (usually a Selective Serotonin Re Uptake

You can confirm that this is the correct order or treatments to try by checking these treatment recommendations here.

CBT is a psychotherapeutic approach that aims to solve problems concerning dysfunctional emotions, behaviors and cognitions through a goal-oriented, systematic procedure. Treatment is technique driven, brief, direct and time-limited (normally 10-12 sessions). CBT is used in individual therapy as well as group settings, and the techniques are often adapted for self-help applications. I would strongly encourage you to consider CBT as I would expect you get great benefit from this approach.

Start by working through this excellent CBT based self-help program here. It should take several weeks to complete, is completely free and will teach you everything you need to know about Depression and what you can do about it. Alternatively, you could take a look at a book which will teach you some introductory techniques for dealing with Depression at home. I can recommend a well known manual titled Mind Over Mood and another book titled The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for
Depression; A Step by Step Program
as good places to start. You can find them
both here.

If you find you aren't making the kind of progress you would like using a self-help approach I would then recommend you consult with a CBT trained therapist. CBT is usually offered by Clinical Psychologists (although not exclusively) and you could start trying to locate a Psychologist in your area by contacting a national organization such as The Hellenic Psychological Society . Alternatively, if you have had previous contact with a Family Therapist the may be able to assist you with locating a CBT trained therapist. Also, take a look at an article published by the APA here. It's an interview with a senior Psychologist and covers some of the things you should consider when you looking for a Psychologist.

If after consulting with a CBT therapist you are still having trouble with Depression
then you should consult with a Psychiatrist about commencing an anti-depressant

I hope this has been of some help. Please let me know if you have further questions or would like me to clarify any part of my answer.

Dr John B and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you