TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

I was told that i have ptsd. i was never in a traumatic

i was told that i have ptsd. i was never in a traumatic rape,car crash,or a war. are there any other reasons that i could have that. i was told this buy my psychiatrist. my email address is***@******.***
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

I can work with you through the Just Answer format. Unfortunately, we cannot communicate through email, only JA because of the question/answer/pay format. Would you still like to continue?

Kate

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
kate, what is ja

It's an abbreviation of Just Answer

Kate

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have now been charged $15 and have gotten no reply. please take the charge of my master card.

I did not receive your response to my question about more information. You may want to try again. If not, contact the moderators for a refund.

Kate

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have suffered from depression anxiety for 40 years. i was the daughter of an emotionaly cold and verbally abusive mother. i lost my father at age 6. i lost my first baby at 22. i lost my husband at 33. could this cause ptsd?

Yes, you have suffered a lot of losses. As a result, you have been exposed to trauma, which is the cause of PTSD and grief.

After a traumatic experience, such as the deaths you suffered and the abuse you went through, it is very common to feel strong emotions. Oftentimes, the feelings become so overwhelming that you develop trauma symptoms. As a result, you can feel numb, have nightmares, feel irritable or on edge, have flashbacks, outbursts and a variety of other symptoms.

Even if your losses were in the past, if you had no support, were unable to get adequate help or just never dealt with how you felt, the PTSD can last for years. It sounds like you suffered a series of losses and abuse over several years. So even if you did deal with the first or second trauma, you were probably re traumatized each time you suffered a loss.

You mentioned seeing a psychiatrist. Have you ever seen a therapist? Medications are great for helping you temporarily deal with the symptoms, but medication cannot resolve the symptoms. Therapy and self help are the best options to help you finally resolve your symptoms and learn to cope with the traumas. To find a therapist, ask your doctor for a referral. Or you can search on line at http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/.

Here are some other resources to help you:

http://www.webmd.com/anxiety-panic/guide/post-traumatic-stress-disorder

http://helpguide.org/mental/post_traumatic_stress_disorder_symptoms_treatment.htm

I hope this has helped you,
Kate

If you have found your answer helpful, please click the green ACCEPT button. Even if you have placed a deposit, I am not paid until you accept. This payment comes out of your deposit and does not cost you extra. Thank you!