Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

does Zyprexa 7.5 mg have any effect on the sperm in males?

Hello, I am a psychiatrist.

The answer to your question is no, Zyprexa has no effect on sperm.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so zyprexa has no responce to the sexual reproductive system in a males body?
What do you mean by no response to the sexual reproductive system in males?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
does it have any effect on the semen or the way it is produced
No, it doesn't.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
if i am still seeing things what should i do??
if you are taking the Zyprexa as prescribed and still hallucinating, then the dose probably needs to be increased; 7.5mg is a medium-low dose. Please discuss this with your doctor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
what should my girfriend do if she is having cramping in the stomach and urinating pains
That is an entirely different question. I am happy to answer your question if you need more details, but there was nothing wrong with my answer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what happens if i dont want to be on medication all my life
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other. i just would like to know if i need to stay on zyprexa all my life. but i have been off it now for 3 months

Whether or not a patient may be needing life long medications depend on many factors such as total duration of illness, number of episodes, severity of symptoms, response to medicines etc.

According to literature, 16-23% of patients may relapse within a year and 53-72 % will relapse without medication. Patients who have had only one episode have 4 in 5 chances of relapsing at least once over the following 5 years.

We recommend treatment for at least 8-12 months after starting Olanzapine (Zyprexa) in a patient having only one episode of illness and if a patient had multiple episode he or she should receive treatment for at least 5 years.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Vikas

Please feel free to ask if you need clarification/more information. Kindly click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON if you are satisfied with the answer. POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUS are warmly appreciated
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so your saying that i have to be on zyprexa for 5 years before i get off it

Thanks for your reply.

What is your exact diagnosis and total duration of illness?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have schizophenia and it has been 12 months

O.K.

If it is your first episode, in my view, you should continue medicines for at least 8 -12 months because there are high chances of relapse if medicine are discontinued prematurely and which probably you also don't want.

Zyprexa is a very good medicine and most patient respond to it very well. After 3-4 months of continues treatment and provided there are no active symptoms we usually reduce the dose of Zyprexa and try to keep our patients on minimum possible dose.

It appears to me that you are currently feeling alright and thats why you have stopped medicine but on the basis of my clinical experience I can say that if you continue the medicine and let your doctor decide when to stop it, if will be very beneficial for your future life. After 8 -9 months of continues treatment, most likely he will himself start thinking of stopping the treatment.

Vikas

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
but i think i am doing fine now i am off the medication because i dont really want to be on it that long.

I can understand your feelings, but this is a very common mistake which most patients commit.

Most of us would like to stop medicines when we feel that we are alright but Schizophrenia is a chronic illness and a patient has very high chances of relapse.

So, keeping these statistics in mind "According to literature, 16-23% of patients may relapse within a year and 53-72 % will relapse without medication. Patients who have had only one episode have 4 in 5 chances of relapsing at least once over the following 5 years." all I can say is that, please don't stop medicines prematurely without your doctor consent.

It appears to me that you are currently asymptomatic so most likely your doctor will restart medicine and may discontinue them within 6- 8 months also if you remain asymptomatic for the next few months.

Vikas

Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience: MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics