How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask mindhealer Your Own Question
mindhealer, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 693
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
mindhealer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can i find help for my grown son he has been diagnosed

Resolved Question:

how can i find help for my grown son he has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder. he has run out of his meds. and can not reach his doctor
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  mindhealer replied 5 years ago.
Good afternoon and welcome to Just Answer. First allow me to thank you for the opportunity to help in answering your question. Secondly, I'm truly sorry to hear of the difficulty you're experiencing and I will do everything that I can to help you. If you wouldn't mind answering some further questions it would help me tremendously in ensuring that I answer your question thoroughly.
First: if I may ask generally what area does your son live?
Second: what medications does he take?
Third: Have you tried any other options besides trying to reach his own doctor?
Fourth: Does he have an appointment scheduled to see his doctor? And if so when is the appointment for.
Thank you very much for the chance to help you and I look forward to hearing from you in order to answer you to the best of my ability and do my best to help you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
arbutus maryland depakote ,celexa .no no he was disconnected three times and because of his condition he gave up. he has a very low tolerance for frustration
Expert:  mindhealer replied 5 years ago.
Thank you very much for the added information. I sincerely ***** ***** quick response and I will certainly do everything I can to help you and your son. Since you live in Maryland you would certainly be able to present to any emergency room and request a psychiatric evaluation which would be done by either a psychiatrist but more than likely a clinical psychologist or clinical social worker trained in emergency psychiatry. The clinicians would be in contact with the attending psychiatrist on call who can provide further suggestions and recommendations.
Given that he does not have a provider right now it would be even more appropriate for him to present to the emergency room for three reasons. The first would be that he would be able to be seen immediately by a clinician to assess his mental state and decipher if any further interventions would be needed. The second reason is that depakote is a medication that requires what are called "blood levels" which he would need lab work done to determine precisely what his depakote level is in order for him to be provided with the appropriate dosage in the ER. The third reason is that he will likely be discharged with prescriptions for the two medications to get him restarted on them as well as referrals for a new psychiatrist...and I would also recommend finding him a therapist to help him cope further with his condition and to manage it more effectively.
The other suggestion would be to call your local department of health and mental hygiene (DHMH) which would be able to set him up with a new psychiatrist through their program. Having said that, the DHMH is often booked a few weeks in advance and it sound as though your son needs to be seen as soon as possible which makes the first recommendation the more appropriate one for him.
You can also let your son know that a trip to the emergency room does not mean that he would be admitted...just that this would be the fastest and most efficient way to get back on his medications.Also, I would also suggest that you request that the ER do a depakote level as part of his blood work to decipher the level where he is and how far he is from a therapeutic level. It's likely they will know to do this but I would suggest asking just to be sure.
I sincerely ***** ***** has been helpful and that I answer your question to your satisfaction. If I have then I would sincerely ***** ***** clicking the ACCEPT button therefore giving me credit for the answer and recommendations I've provided. If you have further questions please do not hesitate to ask them in responding to this thread before accepting the answer. My main priority is to ensure to help you as much as I can and to ensure that are satisfied with the answers and suggestions I;I've provided.
mindhealer and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you