How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr John B Your Own Question
Dr John B
Dr John B, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 557
Experience:  PhD in Clinical Psychology, registered clinical psychologist.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr John B is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a problem and I need help. I'm not sure how to

Resolved Question:

I have a problem and I need help. I'm not sure how to explain my problem. It doesn't make any sense to me so it is hard to explain. I feel like people can read my mind. Like people are watching me all the time. People say things out loud to me that I am thinking in my head. And I hear things I think about on the radio, and in songs, and movies and on TV... And sometimes it seems like other people are speaking a totally different language than I speak. Like they are speaking in code. All of this makes me feel extremely alone and I get depressed about it often. I feel really weird writing this, but I desperately need help and don't know what to do.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr John B replied 5 years ago.


I'm sorry to hear of the situation. How long has this been going on for? Is it constant or transient? Is there any history of mental illness in your family? Does this problem interfere with your ability to function (work etc)?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's been going on my whole life, but it got really bad about ten years ago. It felt allot like that movie "The Truman Show" when it first got bad... It's pretty constant. I try to ignor it most of the time but it's always on my mind. and yes it is very hard to function normaly. My father did go threw something simular a long time ago.
Expert:  Dr John B replied 5 years ago.

It's impossible to diagnose someone via Just Answer but as a general statement what you are describing sounds very much like mild Psychotic symptoms. There is huge variation in the experience of Psychotic Illness and while some people are completely disabled by Psychotic symptoms others have a more milder degree that they find they can tolerate (just) while they go about leading their lives.

The key thing here is that you go an get a Psychiatric assessment immediately. There are a range of medications available that can be very effective in reducing Psychotic symptoms and you may well be suffering unnecessarily. As the main treatment approach for Psychotic symptoms is medication you will be best to consult with a Psychiatrist (who will be able to prescribe the appropriate medications if required).

If you have a family doctor he/she should be able to arrange a referral for you. If you don't wish to consult with your family doctor about this then contact one of the following services for assistance with finding a local Psychiatrist:

You can contact The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services here for assistance with locating federally-funded health centers in your area. These centers can provide services even if you have no health insurance. You pay what you can afford, based on your income. These centers provide health, mental health and substance abuse services. Type in your address and click the 'Find Health Centers' button to find health centers near you.

You can contact the National Alliance on Mental Health here. NAMI are a consumer organization that has a network of local branches that can provide a wealth of information on the kind of services offered locally.

You can contact Mental Health America here. The MHA website contains lots of information regarding mental health issues, treatment options and available resources.

You can contact the United Way here for assistance with finding mental health
services in your local area.

I hope this has been of some help. Please let me know if you have further questions or would like me to clarify any part of my answer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks John
Expert:  Dr John B replied 5 years ago.
You are very welcome.
Dr John B and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you