Mark Manley
Mark Manley, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. Over 15 years exp. Married 30 years and happy.
56283723

How do I fix emotional codependency?

How do I fix emotional codependency?
Purchase and read (with a high lighter pen), 'Co-dependent No More', Melodie Beaty. Second step read it again especially the passages you highlighted. Third step go to therapy and talk out the issues around the addicts that where in your life when you were a child. Who were they, how did they affect you, how did you learn it was your task to take care of them? etc.
One definition for Co-dependency I love is, "overdoing in some else's life while underdoing in our own"
It is so worthwhile learning to take care of our selves and others instead of, caretaking others at the expense of our self!
BEST OF SUCCESS TO YOU
Sincerely,
Mark Manley
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Mark,

Is there a book specifically for emotional codependency? I know the one you gave me is specific to codependency in general. Please let me know.

Thank you,

Marie

Not that I know of. The roots are all the same. The type of troubled person(s) we are unhealthy with may vary but the co-dependent behaviors and their roots are constant. Our connection to the troubled person(s) is the issue. The type of trouble the person we are attached to is not of great significance to the healing process. Therefore all most all the information is transferable from one case to the next.
In my response above you could replace 'addicts' with 'troubled person(s)' and the advice is would be the same.
Hope this clarifies, let me know if it doesn't
Thanks.
Mark