How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr John B Your Own Question
Dr John B
Dr John B, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 557
Experience:  PhD in Clinical Psychology, registered clinical psychologist.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr John B is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 32. I have been deemed disabled for a severe case of

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** I am 32. I have been deemed disabled for a severe case of OCD and PTSD. My medication stops working after a period but my doctor is a real pain about changing so then I suffer. Sometimes I feel great then I could be crying like a baby. I think I need some sort of medication manager. WHat type of DR would you suggest?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr John B replied 5 years ago.


If you are having ongoing difficulty with treatment resistant OCD & PTSD then you should be under the supervision of a Psychiatrist for all medication related matters (not a family doctor). Also, the recommended treatment approaches for both OCD & PTSD include Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). In fact, medication of any kind is not recommended for the long term treatment of PTSD. While medications may be used to suppress/reduce trauma related symptoms treatment should consist of CBT. CBT is usually offered by Clinical Psychologists (although not exclusively) and you should also be receiving assistance from someone who is a CBT trained therapist.

Has your existing doctor/health care provider discussed CBT with you?

Dr John B and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately my cases are beyond cog therapy or bahav therapy. I do see a psychologist but at this point they can't do anything more for me. Maybe you don't believe that but unfortunately true. People can't comprehend what I tell them or don't want to. Psychiatrists just rush me out of the office after paying 500 dollars to get a script that works some time, But if you know of a professional who deals with this stuff let me know.
Thanks for your time
Expert:  Dr John B replied 5 years ago.

You are welcome. Your best bet might be to find a Psychiatrist who is also trained as a therapist in either OCD or PTSD, as this will mean they have a special interested in the area. AN organization like the Sidran Institute might be able to help you locate a Psychiatrist who specializes in PTSD. The Sidran Institute maintains an excellent database of Trauma services in the US. They You can contact them here.

Best of luck!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My OCD is stage four which means options like shock therapy, radiation, laser scalpel brain surgery. I have already been in horrific accident with surgery. I found a doctor that has taken away 90 percent of my OCD however one of the main components is the one that stops working but m OCD is in check. I have ideas on how to deal with it but my doctor makes me pay pay 500 dollars every time I change a script. It is really a no win situation where my family and friends are vacating. I get side effects from my meds. My memory is going and my body moves slow but my head is clear giving me a personality for the first time in my life. I was never present because of the OCD. All the psychiatrists are doing one thing charging and writing scripts. My doctor charged me to talk to him. I know bad luck I guess.
Expert:  Dr John B replied 5 years ago.
Just to check, when you say OCD are you referring to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder or Osteochondritis?