TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

Who does a male adult do to see if they are struggling with

Who does a male adult do to see if they are struggling with being molested as a child by someone outside the family?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

To clarify what you are asking, do you want to know what kind of professional to see or are you asking what to do about being molested?

Kate

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I amlooking for help. Who should I go see shit for that kind of help?

You should see a Master's level therapist or a Ph.D. A Master's level therapist is someone who has earned a Master's degree and usually special licenses along with it. The initials after their name usually include, M.Ed, MA, MSW, LSW or MFT (marriage and family therapist). A Ph.D is someone who has a doctorate in psychology. They have Dr. in front of their name or Ph.D after it.

To find a therapist, ask your doctor for a referral. Or you can search on line according to your zip code at http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/. You can also contact the United Way in your area to ask about the local community mental health center for low cost/no cost therapy.

When you search for a therapist, you may want to ask about experience and whether or not the therapist has special education in helping others who have been sexually abused.

If you need further resources or have more questions, please let me know.

Kate

If you found your answer helpful, please click ACCEPT. Even if you placed a deposit, I am not paid for my work unless you accept. Thank you!