How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5823
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was sexually abused from 5-12 yrs old by my uncle. as was

Resolved Question:

i was sexually abused from 5-12 yrs old by my uncle. as was my 2 cousins. im 30 now and i still cant get it out of my head. evrytime i have sex i think about it. its hard to hold it in anymore. my uncle now has kids the age i was and its eating me up inside. idont know what to do. should i see a psychiatrist or am i just making this a bigger deal than i should? please help if you can thank jeremy
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi Jeremy, I'd like to help you with your question.

There is nothing wrong with how you are feeling. You are reacting completely normal. You were abused as a child and never told anyone. This is horrible and traumatizing. It is never a big deal to tell someone what happened to you and to get help.

The first step should be to find a therapist. You need to talk to someone who not only understands what you went through and the effects of it, but that can help you work through the trauma. To find a therapist, talk to your doctor (you don't need to say why you want to see a therapist). Or you can search on line at

If you have any trusted family you can talk with, you can also speak with them. Sharing your burden and having support is important.

If you feel that your uncle's children are in danger, you may want to talk to your therapist about your options. Telling your family what happened to you may cause some reactions that are hard to cope with such as anger and defensiveness, but protecting the children from their father is important. Your therapist can be there for you as a support and also help guide you through the situation. Keeping secrets is what the abuser counts on. If it is no longer a secret, then he cannot continue to abuse.

Sexual abuse, unfortunately, is common. But because of that, there are numerous supports available on line and through groups. Here are some resources to help you:

The Courage to Heal Workbook: A Guide for Women and Men Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse by ***** *****

Also, you may want to write about your experience. This will help you express how you feel and help you see your progress. Being sexually abused is a trauma and reoccuring thoughts are normal. Writing down how you feel will help.

More than anything, it is a good sign that you are reaching out. This means you are healthy and have a good chance of overcoming this trauma and moving on.

I hope this helps you,


If you found your answer helpful, please click ACCEPT. Even if you placed a deposit, I am not paid unless you accept. Thank you!

TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you