Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I've been suffering from severe depression for a few months

Customer Question
Hi, I've been suffering from severe...
I've been suffering from severe depression for a few months now and have had bouts of it including a breakdown before. I got through those times though but am finding it very difficult to help myself in any way this time which is uncharacteristic of me as I am usually very strong willed. I've been off work for four months and have the support of a Mental Health team. I feel suicidal now but part of me is desperate to get my life back on track. I was taking Moclobemide and Quetiapine but changed to Mirtazapine with Quetiapine two weeks ago as I didn't feel the Moclobemide was working. I'm at the end of my tether with the suffering and just wondered if my lack of motivation and will could have been caused by being on the wrong medication and if the Mirtazapine might help me more? I realise that medication isn't a magic cure but I feel that I just need a mood lift to enable me to start helping myself as I can't cope at the moment. Do you think that the Mirtazapine will be able to help
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mental Health
11/8/2011
Mental Health Professional: TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist replied 6 years ago
TherapistMarryAnn

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

Yes, Mirtazapine could certainly help you. It is extremely common for people to have to try many different medications before finding one that works for them. This is because everyone's body chemistry is different and therefore, how you react to a medication depends on how your body reacts.

Mirtazapine takes from 1 to 4 weeks to work so depending on when you began taking it, you should start to see a difference around that time.

You also mentioned having a mental health team working with you. Are you also in therapy then? As you mentioned, medication is a good way to help lift your mood, but it often is much more effective if you add therapy to your treatment. A therapist can help you explore why you feel the way you do and help you use cognitive behavioral strategies to change your thinking and help you cope better. They can also provide resources as well as continual support. They can also coordinate your care and see that you are provided with the answers you need to feel better.

Self help is also a great way to address your symptoms and find answers to your issues. Here are some resources you may not have tried yet:

http://helpguide.org/mental/depression_signs_types_diagnosis_treatment.htm

Here is a guide on anti depressants to help you explore other options if the Mirtazapine doesn't work out:

http://helpguide.org/mental/medications_depression.htm

http://www.depressionalliance.org/how-we-can-help/self-help-groups.php

The Depression Cure: The 6-Step Program to Beat Depression without Drugs by Stephen S. Ilardi

Keep trying and don't give up hope. You may respond very well to the medication. And through addition support, you can recover and manage your life as you wish to.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate

TherapistMarryAnn
Thank you for your reply-it has been very helpful. I've just really struggled to use self-help strategies over the last few months as I have done in the past at the moment-don't know if this is because my mood is so low. Can you suggest any reasons for this as this is unusual for me?

Low motivation is a main symptom of depression. So your difficulty with having trouble following through and being motivated is normal and not unusual at all. A diagnosis such as Major depression means that you have some of the possible symptoms, but not necessarily all of them. It also means that you may address one symptom and develop another. As you recover, your symptoms may change over time. That is ok as long as you feel you can cope and develop ways to address them. That is when you know you are getting better.

The medication should help with your motivation. Also, you may want to enlist the help of a friend or family member to sit with you and go over self help resources a few times a week. If you have someone you can work with, they can act as your motivation until you begin to feel it yourself. Also, try making connections as much as possible with others either at home or on line. They can provide the prompts you need to move forward. It is not so easy to ignore connecting with others if you receive several messages from people on line or someone with you is saying let's look at this website.

Kate

TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist