How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5808
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 53 years old, in menopause, my youngest just went off

Customer Question

I am 53 years old, in menopause, my youngest just went off to college and suddenly have had a spike in my blood pressure (always 120/70, now 160/90) and am breaking out into hives. What type of mental health professional should I be seeking?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.


So far, you have handled your symptoms very well. What you have done so far is exactly what I would have recommended you do. Seeing your doctor is a good move because it helps rule out any physical cause of your symptoms. You also have tried medication and found out that while medication does help temporarily to relieve symptoms, it does not solve the underlying problem in a situation such as yours.


If you are feeling that stress and anxiety may be the causes of your symptoms (and it does sound that way), a therapist with a Master's degree or Ph.D would be able to address your problems and help you find answers.


Here are the degrees you should look for:


M.Ed- a Master's in counseling (such as I have)

MSW- a Master's in social work

LSW- a Master's in social work with a license

MA - a Master's in psychology theory

MFT- a Master's in Marriage and Family therapy

Ph.D - a doctorate in Psychology


Finding a therapist you feel compatible with is also important. Just as you search for a family doctor you feel comfortable with, finding a therapist you can work with is just as important. Using a referral helps. Try asking your doctor for help finding someone. Or search on line at This site will help you learn more about the therapist before you contact them.


The therapist should do a complete evaluation first to determine what your diagnosis might be. Then they should offer you your options for treatment. Most likely, in your case, outpatient therapy once or twice a week will work.


Let me know if you have any more questions,


TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

You could also try your local community mental health center for therapy. Try contacting your local United Way for the number.







If you felt your answer was helpful, please click ACCEPT. I am not paid for my work unless you accept. Thank you!



Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have successfully started my search, due to you helping me narrow it down! Thank you, Kate --Jane

Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Jane, thank you! I am glad I could help. I enjoyed talking with you. Take care.



Related Mental Health Questions