How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Olsen Your Own Question
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2336
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Olsen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 48 years old and a mother of one. I have undergone a great

This answer was rated:

I am 48 years old and a mother of one. I have undergone a great amount of difficulty in my life recently including my father being killed, my husband leaving me and my son getting 3rd degree burns in a cooking accident.

I am now having a hard time leaving the house and sleeping. The anxiety and stress are so great and my depression feels overwhelming.

I don't have medical insurance but really need for find help soon. Any ideas?
Hi there,
Thank you for writing in here.
I am so sorry to hear about your situation.
It sounds like you have been under enormous stress as you lost your father in such a tragic and nonsense way, separation from your husband, and your son's serious injury from cooking.
You suffer from depression and anxiety. You may need GRIEF COUNSELING as your depression has to do with your father's tragic death.
It's common for people to fall into BEREAVEMENT-RELATED DEPRESSION after losing their loved one.

I would advise you to see a psychotherapist to express and process your feelings and thoughts and get advice and support WEEKLY.

A combination of psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy are considered to be effective to treat Depression including BEREAVEMENT-RELATED DEPRESSION.

You may ask your doctor for a psychologist/psychotherapist that you can work with WEEKLY.

Or, you can search a licensed psychologist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to ( and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as GRIEF/LOSS or Depression. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she has the specialty. You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that you want to work with – Male or female? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you can see it as an informational meeting. You can ask any question and negotiate psychotherapy fee.

If you have no health insurance or seek a low fee counseling, you may call The United Way toll free # XXXXX (Dial 2-1-1)to find the community mental health centers in your area in which you can get counseling even without health insurance.

Also, you will benefit from attending a support group for adults with loss and grief or loss of the loved one. You may contact a local hospital, clinics, and/or a church.
If you like to find a support group for him, check Mental Health America website section ( - Find a group in your area.
There are support groups websites. The Daily Strength ( offer support groups for people with a variety of problems including loss of the loved one and Grief.

In addition, stress reduction and relaxation techniques such as yoga, swimming, biofeedback, acupuncture, meditation and massage therapy may be helpful for you to reduce the severity of depression. Also, eating a healthy diet rich in Omega-3s – Cold water fish, walnuts, flaxseeds, salmon, halibut, shrimp and tofu etc. may be helpful to your mood management.

You need help and support from your doctor, a psychotherapist specializing in Grief counseling, family and/or friends.

I hope you get well with all available help and support.

Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards, XXXXX remember to click the green ACCEPT button. You do not get charged twice; I will continue to answer your question whenever I am back online; my goal is to get you the best answers possible. If I can be of further help with any issue, just put "for Dr. Olsen" in the front of your new question. All the best, XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did seek grief counseling and received some group sessions. I am however having such a difficult time with dealing with the worries that continue to plague me.

I am having a difficult time with financial and emotional stressers. I believe that I benefit from anti-depressants or something but I am not sure that my physician can prescribe this type of medication.

Can a regular physician prescribe anti-depressants?
Hi there,
I am glad to hear that you are working with a psychotherapist in this very difficult time.
I can imagine how anxious you must feel about your father's death, your husband, and your son's injury.
I understand you may need medication to manage your overwhelming emotions - anxiety and depression.
Your primary doctor may prescribe antidepressants to you.

A number of antidepressant medications are available to treat depression.
Types of antidepressants include Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) such as fluoxetine (Prozac), paroxetine (Paxil), sertraline (Zoloft), citalopram (Celexa) and escitalopram (Lexapro),
Serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs) such as duloxetine (Cymbalta), venlafaxine (Effexor) and desvenlafaxine (Pristiq), Norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake inhibitors (NDRIs)such as Bupropion (Wellbutrin), Atypical antidepressants such as trazodone (Desyrel) and mirtazapine (Remeron), and Tricyclic antidepressants etc..

Finding the right medication for you will likely take some trial and error. It is necessary for you and your doctor to work together to find the right medication for you.
If antidepressant treatment doesn't seem to be working, your doctor may advise you to take a blood test to check for specific genes that affect how your body uses antidepressants.

I would advise you to consult with your doctor or a psychiatrist for pharmacotherapy.

It's important for you to stick to treatment such as weekly psychotherapy and support group until you feel better. It may take a while for you to feel better, but you will.

I hope you get well.

Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,

Dr. Olsen and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions