Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.
25396616

I don't really know how this works. I believe I may have

I don't really know how this works. I believe I may have depression, but I am very weary of going to anyone about it. I have no friends and spend the majority of my time alone and do prefer to be alone often, just not all the time. I fight the urge the cry all the time, I never seem to get happy or excited about anything and I am always tired no matter how long or short I sleep. The only thing that ever seems to pick me up is extreme activities or competative sports where adrenaline flows. I basically want to know how to get rid of the emptiness and the apathy.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 5 years ago.
Dr. Ed Wilfong :

I am here mainly to supply information and help with options.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

It sounds like you are depressed, which is biological in many cases, like the flu.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

Often, the easiest step is to go to your Primary Doctor. They can help with starting treatment or refer you to counseling.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

We do this for a living because we like and care about people. Don't be afraid. Professionals generally understand and are quite compassionate.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

Counseling may help with apathy and emptiness, but these issues are also ones that can be helped with medication.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

Just start somewhere, and be honest.