How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5809
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question so i have been having allot of trouble

Resolved Question:

Hello so i have a question so i have been having allot of trouble lately (mentally) i have been like getting over stressed and i think bad things over and over so pretty much i am just giving my self anxiety attacks, So i was wondering if i go to the doctor how to i explain to them what is going on with me so i don't sound pathetic. And also what will the doctor say back to me or the treatment or anything?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

You can tell your doctor that you are feeling very stressed and as a result, you are starting to feel anxious. Doctors hear these kinds of things all the time and so they are prepared to help you. The doctor will most likely recommend medication to help you take the edge off your symptoms.

However, it sounds like you might need to see a therapist instead of a doctor. You can see the doctor for medication if you feel you need it to take the edge off your worry and anxiety. But therapy can help you cope with your stress and help you find better ways to handle your feelings. Therapy will also help you resolve your problems whereas medication will only help with the symptoms.

To find a therapist, talk to your doctor about a referral. Or search on line at

You can also work on this problem through self help. Here are some resources to help you get started:

The Relaxation and Stress Reduction Workbook (New Harbinger Self-Help Workbook) by ***** *****, Elizabeth Robbins Eshelman and Matthew McKay

10 Simple Solutions to Stress: How to Tame Tension and Start Enjoying Your Life by Claire Michaels Wheeler

You can find these books on or your local library may have them for you.

I hope this has helped you,


Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello Kate Thankyou for your feedback do you think i should go to a mental health professional instead of the doctor? your personal preffrence?
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

I would say going to a therapist is your best bet. The doctor is fine, but they are not trained in mental health matters, just the medication that helps symptoms like stress. A mental health therapist will be able to do an evaluation to tell you what diagnosis you have (helpful information if you also want to work on this problem through self help) and provide you with treatment. In your case, that is most likely individual sessions on an outpatient basis.

While medication is helpful in some cases, the side effects and possible addiction issues with some medications makes taking medications an impractical choice unless you really feel you need them to cope with daily living.


Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do you have any experience with relationships?
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Yes. Did you need help with something?


Customer: replied 5 years ago.
this is where all of my negetive head space is coming from is my relationship i think but not to sure, So i moved in with my current boyfriend about 6 monts ago. i Moved about 300 miles for him. And were not doing to good now, i dont have a job anymore and dont drive so im stuck at the house pretty much the whole week, and i am going crazy. i have talked to my bf about this for some time now and he says all of this stuff like getting me a car so i can get a job or taking me out for little things every once in a while but its been all talk. He works 40 hours a week and when he gets home he wants to stay home and it seems like when i suggest something to do he shuts me down and says that he works all day so he deserves to relax, which is fine with me but its old really quick. When me and my boyfriend talk we have a heart to heart it seems but then it seems like he just says thing to make me happy but then never does anything about it. Also im pretty much stuck i dnt have a car so i can find my own job or get out of the house my self. I have to ask him for money or a ride into town. Its like he is my dad and i am a little kid cause i have to ask for permission or anything to do anything. so i am wondering how i can approach this and him not get mad and we just take a step backwards and not forwards. I have proposed to him the idea of me moving back to where i was before i moved in with him beacause i have a car there and pretty much a guarenteed job but e thinks that when i move back im just going to forget about him, beacuse i have allot of guy friends and he is super insecure and hre says he doesnt have trust issues but he does cause he doesnt let me pretty much out of his site unless im at home. so please tell what to do
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

It seems that you feel stuck with him because of his insecurities. He is telling you that you cannot move on because he is afraid you will forget him. This is not a good reason to stay living with him. You have needs as well and he is not addressing them with you. This is not a 50/50 relationship. And you are not responsible for his insecurities.

It comes down to you deciding on your own what you feel you need. You can still continue a relationship with him even if you live elsewhere. He could also move close to you, where ever you are from. There are other options. Since he is not willing to think beyond you giving up everything for him, you will need to do this yourself. Once you decide, follow through. If this relationship is meant to be, you will stay together. But if he balks and doesn't want to you make choices for yourself, you may want to rethink this relationship.


TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Do you feel this has helped or do you have more questions?


Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Kate your amazing thankyou!
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

You're welcome! I am glad I could help. I would very much appreciate an accept if you feel your answer was helpful and complete. Thank you!