cathy
cathy, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  MS., MS.Ed., 30 years clinical and administrative experience in psychiatry and mental health
25773729

My son is -polar. He has been on a mania high for over two

My son is Bi-polar. He has been on a mania high for over two months. He has been hospitolized a couple of time during this period, but he was released after only a few days each time. I believe he is contemplating suicide at this point. What can I do if he refuses to go in for help or take meds. Can I get him leagally commited. His life is in danger.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  cathy replied 5 years ago.
cathy :

Hi and thanks for writing JA

cathy :

I am sorry to hear about your son and yes if he is a danger to himself or to others you can have him legally committed. Every state has different ways to go about this. Without sharing any personal information can you tell me in which state he resides? I can then direct you to the appropriate resources. Cathy

cathy :

Hi are you there?

Customer:

We are in Nevada and he is 32 years old

cathy :

Okay let me sign off for just a moment and I will be right back here with information for you. Is that okay?

Customer:

thank you

Customer:

Actually Hendeerson NV just out side of las vegas

cathy :

I am poring through Nevada state mental health laws now, thank you for your patience, I will be right back

Customer:

did you see my note above that we are in henderson nv

cathy :

Hi and thank you for your patience. I believe I have found what you are looking for.

cathy :

Please read through this and tell me what you think? Basically it says that if you can find a physician who will certify him as a danger to himself or others you can have him kept for fourteen days in a mental health facility. During those fourteen days you can take the case before a mental health judge and ask for the committment to be extended for up to six months/

cathy :

Hi yes I saw you were in Hendersonville NV. Am I correct in thinking that Hendersonville is part of Nevada? or is Hendersonville in another state? Help please I am confused now.

Customer:

Henderson Nevada 89002 - 15 minutes from the las vegas strip

cathy :

okay so now I am very confused?

cathy :

Help me out on this please

cathy :

If Henderson is in Nevada? why do Nevada laws not apply there?

Customer:

They should, I would think. Anything on Vegas area. I'm 15 minutes from there.

cathy :

okay then?

cathy :

so the laws I sent you cover Hendersonville if it is in Nevada

cathy :

do you want to read them over and write back to me?

cathy :

or do you have a physician that can certify him?\

Customer:

I don't know where hendersonnville is. I am in Henderson or whatever you can find in Las vegas

cathy :

oh my

cathy :

Nevada has STATE mental health laws, they do not very city by city or county by county

cathy :

the law is the same be it Las Vegas or Henderson or Reno

cathy :

its all the same law

cathy :

I have sent you the law for involuntary committment in Nevada

cathy :

which covers him no matter where he lives in Nevada

cathy :

so you are good to go

cathy :

all you have to do is to find a physician who will certify him as dangerous to himself

Customer:

did they go to my email?

cathy :

no its above, its a link above. Hold on I will send it to you again. OK?

cathy :

Here you go. You can read the law here

Customer:

Thank you

cathy :

My pleasure.