Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

LPC or LSW Solo or Group practice question How exactly does

Customer Question
LPC or LSW Solo or...
LPC or LSW Solo or Group practice question
How exactly does it work if you have a solo practice or group practice. I assume there is insurance, renting, etc. I look up median incomes and they seem barely more than 35,000. I know from some friends billings that local social workers charge between 80-150 an hour. I also know from talking to some that they work anywhere from 32-50 hours a week. Assuming one works 40 hours a week and charges 115 an hour if its needed for info purposes.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mental Health
11/1/2011
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist replied 6 years ago
Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist

If you're in a solo practice you're responsible for the office rent fees and you bill insurance (unless you only take private clients) You will run into clients and insurance that does not pay you and clients that do not show up. Because of that, you would have to work more than 40 hours a week if you want to make that 35k

Many individuals in private practice also hold other jobs at least PT to make ends meet.

You will charge the insurance company your contracted rate if you take insurance ex 60-$85 h If you bill privately, you'd want to charge the usual rate your peers charge in the area where you practice.

If you work for a group, you can once again do it as a contractor (the group most likely bills for you and pays you 70% of your earning and keeps the rest) In both cases you'd most likely need your own liability insurance b/w $130-160 depending on what coverage you buy.

Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
That is per month on the liability right? Can you give me a rough estimate of a percentage of weekly non shows and non pays? just so i can realistically see the picture? Cant you do a consult and a pre-authorization? I would have thought you would make self pays or partial insurance pays pay up front like regular doctors do, is this not so? Does it pay more to be a full psychotherapist rather than a SW or PC?
No liability is yearly fee. I am only doing private prac PT. Insurance pays only for the rendered service not for no shows. Even if you bill a client for the no show, they may not pay you. You may have anywhere b/w 2-4 no shows per week but it would depend on how many clients you see per day or at least have scheduled to see. If you have 7 clients scheduled, you may have 1 no show. For FT private practice or with group it would not necessarily pay more because you'd have to be putting in more than 40 hours per week to barely make it. That is why PT or PRN jobs come in handy (at least they guarantee to pay you) You can always pre authorize services but "an authorization is not a guarantee of payment" Per the insurance, and "final coverage determination is made upon submission of your bill"
Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Sheesh. I know where I am the aptients are overflowing the doctors, not that that really matters that much. My insurance paid 100 of my visits when my SW charged 125 and paid for 24 visits a year. So basically if your seeing 32 patients a week, 5 a day average, then count on around 6-7 not showing up and... 5 being non paid. So maybe 20 a week paid, an average of 65 per paying patient. Is that unrealistic? Typical rent here is $800-1100. 160 a year insurance. Then there quarterly taxes etc. But pre tax thats 56,600 after rent... am i missing something?

In any event this is pretty bad. I make $35000 now without a degree. What kind of work do you do on the side? Is there anything in this field that will make it even worth the college loans? I'd rather know now than end up with the degree and be right where i am.
It would depend on the insurance coverage (they all have different fees) What you're missing is just the reality living and working as a therapist. I don't know anyone who makes 56k from private practice. Your best bet would be to get to work with someone as a contractor and you'd get to see how often people come, how often they pay you, etc. You may have noticed that many PhD, MD are on this site answering questions for a few bucks. If you're looking to make $56K per year as a social worker or therapist it won't happen. The most money you can earn is working in managed care as a clinician. But not nearly 56K. You will need a full independent license (usually 3 years post licensure) and many insurance companies may not credential someone unless they got 5 years of independed license such as LPC or LCSW. Why not check the advertisements in your area to see what fully licensed clinicians make at hospitals, state agencies, jails, etc?
Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
college is useless god...
It appears to be that way. But usually you'd go into the social services for other reasons than monetary compensations because that would be minimal.
Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Sure, but... I was hoping to make a difference and change my life. Especially with what i was pouring into it. When i was younger I dont think it was like this.
You will make some difference -there are some people who want to work on themselves. But, you'd also meet many who do not and expect you to fix their life. You can always help in the way you interact with others regardless of what work you do to earn a pay check. There are many ways to help even volunteering. If you want to see what kind of work others do in the mental health field, you do not need a MA or license to work as a tech (but they make very little money) There is also the issue that once you start doing this sort of work and see what other things get in the way - managed care, licensing, people not always even being able to pay their copays, etc. you may get burned out and realize that you can apply your skills doing something else.
Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
I feel like my dream just died you know... thanks for your answer...
it wont let me accept your answer. I must have accepted it, 10 times... it returns me to my homepage like I did and I get an email, but... I dont see it in here
Nevermind... it works different in this section, each response is an answer which isnt typical. i got it, thanks
No problem. Thanks.
Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist