Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

What is typical of the male adult asperger in regard to

What is typical of the male adult asperger in regard to sexual behavior- morals-marriage
etc.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Bill replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for asking this very interesting question.
As you probably know, Adults with Asperger's Disorder typically have significant issues relating to interpersonal relationships and the in the sexual area this is also often the case.
As described in the following research in regard to relationships and sexuality:
Difficulties often arise especially in relationships (8). Because of their lack of empathy, persons with Asperger’s syndrome may have difficulties to make contact with potential partners in an appropriate way. In a developing or existing relationship they may appear selfish or cold. The patients often experience the demands that are associated with relationships—a desire for more intense communication or mutual sympathy—as a strain. Often, persons with Asperger’s syndrome will therefore conduct relationships over greater geographical distances, which results in time constrained contacts. This also includes the whole area of sexuality. Some people with Asperger’s have a very low need for physical closeness, others even have an aversion to it. Some have great insecurities regarding sex, although their fundamental need is undiminished (8, 9), since sexual intimacy results from an intense capacity for mutual empathy. However, some patients manage to build stable relationships and have families.
Source: "Asperger’s Syndrome in Adulthood
Mandy Roy, Dr. med."
There are some other great resources that I think you should consider if you want in depth information on Adult Sexuality and Asperger's. I highly recommend the following book:
"Asperger's Syndrome And Sexuality: From Adolescence Through Adulthood" by
Isabelle Henault
Should you have additional questions or require further clarification, please feel free to ask.
I wish you the best,
Bill
PLEASE CLICK GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON SO THAT I RECEIVE CREDIT FOR MY TIME
Thanks and have a great day!