Mark Manley
Mark Manley, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. Over 15 years exp. Married 30 years and happy.
56283723

What is my best chance for tests that can diagnose a

Customer Question

What is my best chance for tests that can diagnose a treatment plan for clinical depression. This is my second long-term occurance. I had 10 years of severe depression in my twenties and 8 years now in my fifties to beginning sixties. I have tried anti-depressants, therapy, grief class and perserverance? I need to get well!!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Mark Manley replied 5 years ago.
sorry to hear about your unremitting misery.
I need a little more information before I answer your question.
Are you seeing a Psychiatrist or a General Practitioner or ?
Thanks.
Sincerely,
Mark Manley
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just had a longer than usual appt with my primary care physician who is a internist. He doesn't feel he has the knowledge and expertise to help me so is referred me to a group of psychiatrists. I am hoping they can do some hormone, gene, enzyme testing etc to see if it is a chemical imbalance that has not responded to the effexor 300 mg per day I have taken for the last 8 years. I have had a lot!! of losses from friends and family dying and a divorce after 23 years which I wanted but I am becoming a recluse.
You sound like you are on track. I suggest you keep going forward. Though you have done some talk therapy in the past I suggest you keep open to this as a possible component of your treatment plan.
I know it is really hard to get your self out the door when you are feeling depressed but you will help your self by getting out and involved with other people. Volunteer work, hobbies, social events anything!
Best wishes.
Sincerely,
Mark Manley
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't mean to be difficult but your answer does not at all even address my question. I am trying to find out the most reliable place for brain imaging, hormone testing, brain genotesting etc. I am 61 years old and I went through this same every day depression for 10 years in my twenties and now aain every day for the last 8 years only it gets worse. I appreciate your suggestion of therapy but I went to therapy for over 7 1/2 hears until June, 2010 when I took a vacation and didn't go back as it was just spending money and not making any real progress. I'm 61 years old and I would like to make some real progress while I can still enjoy some years.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have also seen a psychiatrist and been advised that all they can do is oversee the anti-depressant I have already been taking for almost 8 years which I do not feel has been helping me at all. Please see my original question.
Thank you!!
OK thanks for the reiteration. I will be back to you on this in 24 hrs. or less.
Sincerely,
Mark Manley
Just so happens I was reading regarding holistic and alternative therapies over the past three days, and can highly recommend this material and this doctor. Dr Brownstein www.drbrownstein.com got frustrated with his inability to help his patients through traditional medicine alone and decided he would have to quit doctoring or find some healing solutions. He claims a history of successful treatment for depression by addressing thyroid function even when traditional thyroid function tests do not reveal a problem. I read his book 'Iodine Why You Need It' and part of his Thyroid book. One of the main tenets of his approach is achieving proper hormone balance to relieve symptoms of depression, fatigue and others. I suggest you check out the web site and if inclined order one or more of his books to see if you would like to pursue this track further. His work makes a lot of sense to me. Let me know what you think. Thanks. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you Mr. Manley. That is more in-line with what I am looking for. After all this time, I really want to rule out any chemical, hormonal or enzyme issues that may be the cause of my inability to control my deep depression for such long periods of time. I have been to counseling for 8 years this time and was in counseling briefly in my twenties but neither time has it really helped me. I was seeing a good holistic doctor before I left on vacation and perhaps that and a neurologist are the proper direction to see if there is something wrong phsically. I know I have many issues from my childhood but feel I can manage them if there is nothing else holding me back. I appreciate you help very much. Susie
You are very welcome. I wish you great relief.
Sincerely,
Mark Manley