TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

About a year ago I was given some information regarding marriage

About a year ago I was given some information regarding marriage therapists.....it had to do with the certification and/or type of counseling that was done. i.e, a special type of marriage therapist. Can you help me identify what I am trying to remember?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

There are many different types of certifications for each type of therapist and for therapists as a whole. They vary according to national licenses and state level licenses. Here are the three master's level marriage therapists including one that is licensed:

MFT
The Marriage and Family Therapist has a graduate academic degree, earned in two to five years, plus clinical work experience, which can take one to three years. Therapists with an MFT treat a wide range of problems focusing on families and relationships. All states except Montana, North Dakota, and West Virginia offer MFT licensing exams. (American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists)

MFTI
A Marriage and Family Therapist Intern holds a master's degree and is working toward licensure as a marriage and family therapist (MFT or LMFT). The marriage and family therapist has a graduate academic degree, earned in two to five years, plus clinical work experience, which can take one to three years. Therapists with an MFT treat a wide range of problems, focusing on families and relationships. All states except Montana, North Dakota, and West Virginia offer MFT licensing exams. (American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists)

LMFT
The Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist has a graduate academic degree, clinical work experience, and has passed state-certified licensing exams. Along with a two- to three-year master's programs with a practicum and internship, LMFTs are required to complete clinical training in individual or family therapy. Some states require completion of 3000 hours of service.

There is also the National Board Certified Counselor certifications here:

NCC
The National Board of Certified Counselors (NBCC) issues the Nationally Certified Counselor certification. The NBCC certifies counselors who have passed the National Counselor Examination for Licensure (NCE). This professional credential requires an advanced degree in counseling, clinical training, face-to-face counseling, among other course work. (National Board for Certified Counselors) Here is their website: http://www.nbcc.org/OurCertifications

Here is the website for Marriage and Family therapists: http://www.famft.org/ohana/website/index.cfm?p=95575656252

If I can be of further assistance in helping you figure this out, let me know.

Kate

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This was not a certification, but a type of marriage therapy.

There are many different types of therapy, even within the marriage and family therapy field. So many that listing them all here would take a while! But I can provide you with a listing that may help you find what you are looking for:

http://www.goodtherapy.org/types-of-therapy.html

Now, this includes other types of therapy. But sometimes, therapists will use what they call an "elecletic" approach, which means they combine different types of therapies to use in their practice. So pinpointing what you may have heard may take some digging. But I hope this link helps.

Kate

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
None of these therapies are what I am looking for. Are any old answers archived? In other words, can I find the answer that was sent to me last year around June? I have moved, have a different computer and have no way to look up the old e-mail.

I was not aware you received the information from someone here on Just Answer. Yes, I can access that information for you. Here it is:

For marriages that are this close to the edge, I recommend finding a therapist recommended by Gottman.com. Gottman's approach to marriage counseling is one of the best, XXXXX XXXXX of the most amazing outcome results, and has the highest predictive ability to determine if a marriage will sink or swim in a few short sessions. Encourage him to agree to give you at least 4 or 6 sessions of couples counseling with a Gottman counselor, and that after that point you won't push him to continue but that after this many years of marriage you deserve 6 hours of his time in a marriage counselors office.

Is this what you were looking for?

Kate