Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I am feeling very depressed and need some suggestions on how

I can best help myself...
I am feeling very depressed and need some suggestions on how I can best help myself to get through this. I was taken off all antidepressants in July this year after about 20 years of being on them! I am now feeling very out of control but I don't see my CPN for another week. I don't know how to manage the way that I feel - I am trying to stop myself from self harming but feel I am losing the battle right now! Thank you Sue
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/27/2011
TherapistMarryAnn

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

Before I can provide an answer, I need to ask a few questions.

Are you currently involved with any type of treatment for your depression? Do you know what you diagnosis is?

Thank you,
Kate

I have recently been given a diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder but they still have a question mark over Bipolar Disorder. The last 8 days I have been hyper but today I feel like my mood is crashing through the floor again.

I am not currently receiving any treatment.

Sue

Thank you, Sue.

It sounds like you have at least some symptoms of Bipolar. In that case, medications can help a lot. Bipolar is a disorder thought to be caused by brain chemistry. Therapy can help you cope with the symptoms, but medication is necessary to help you balance out the mood swings.

You can also help yourself through self help and support groups. You can attend a support group on line or in person. Here are some resources to help you:

http://helpguide.org/mental/depression_signs_types_diagnosis_treatment.htm

http://helpguide.org/mental/bipolar_disorder_symptoms_treatment.htm

Living Well with Depression and Bipolar Disorder: What Your Doctor Doesn't Tell You...That You Need to Know (Living Well (Collins)) by John McManamy

Why Am I Still Depressed? Recognizing and Managing the Ups and Downs of Bipolar II and Soft Bipolar Disorder by James R. Phelps

Natural Medicine Guide to Bipolar Disorder, The: New Revised Edition by Stephanie Marohn

You can find these books on Amazon.com or your local library may have them for you.

Along with finding support, caring for yourself is important when you feel depressed. Very often, people want to stay home and withdrawal into themselves. But trying to get out your home and have contact with others in some form can help lift your depression. Even if you just go for coffee or to browse a bookstore, being out can help you.

Contact family and friends. Talk to them about how you feel. If even one person supports you, it can make a big difference.

Try to exercise at least some each day. You don't have to throw yourself into full throttle aerobics to get the benefits. You just need to walk or an activity such as swimming to help your body produce a natural high which can lift your mood.

I hope this helps you,

Kate

Thanks. I'm just so sick of being on this emotional rollercoaster. I have been under the mental health team for 18 months now and they keep changing their minds about the diagnosis and the medication. They persuaded me to stop the psychotherapy I was having in order to have 12 weeks of specialised counselling. Trouble was that when that 12 weeks finished I had nowhere to take my thoughts to. They then decided to stop my antidepressants as my head was buzzing the whole time (just as it has the last week or so) and also so that they could diagnose me medication free. I have been referred to a therapeutic community for intensive group therapy but that doesn't start for another 2 years!!! Until then they run an outreach group but can't tell me when I can start that as that also has a waiting list. As yet I haven't seen the psychiatrist for her to make her diagnosis. I feel very lost, very alone and am already at the point of wanting to be on my own again. I'm not sure how much longer I can cope with this.

Sue

I will look into some of the books you have suggested.

I have a husband who thinks this is just me being 'moody' so very little (if any) support there, plus I am trying to act 'normal' because the children are at home on school holidays this week.

Sorry to sound so negative, but I just feel like giving up!

Sue

Is it normal for it to take so much time to diagnose Bipolar Disorder?

Sue,

You have a lot on your plate! I am sorry to hear that treatment is very hard to come by, at least in terms of what you need. I work with someone else who lives in the UK and they have also been waiting for therapy for a long time, even with multiple doctor's referrals. It is frustrating to wait when you need the care now. I can understand your feelings about wanting to be on your own again. But I encourage you to hang in there. You can talk to any of the experts on Just Answer anytime and you can try other methods of getting support.

It is not normal to take so long to diagnosis Bipolar. You should be able to at least be told whether or not you might have it.

You may want to try the on line support groups. At least you would be able to talk to others who understand your situation and how you feel. You can also contact NAMI at http://www.nami.org/. It is an American organization, but I would hope that they would help anyone who asks. They also provide support and information to you and your family.

If I can help any further, let me know.

Kate

TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist