How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark Manley Your Own Question
Mark Manley
Mark Manley, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 402
Experience:  Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. Over 15 years exp. Married 30 years and happy.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Mark Manley is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Teenage drug abuse where to get help

Resolved Question:

teenage drug abuse
where to get help
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Mark Manley replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry to hear you and your Grandson are in this painful situation.
One thing you can do is take him for drug testing. Before you take him you can inform him of your decision and let him know that it would be much more pleasant for him to just tell you the truth and then spend the money you would have spent on testing to go out to dinner together. But if he doesn't go for that or you feel he is lying take him for testing. You can check on line for facilities that offer drug testing in your area.
If he has a series of dirty tests for other evidence of using, you can go to any number of adolescent treatment facilities for him to receive an evaluation and treatment plan.
A family environment of structure, accountability and discipline is also very helpful so to what ever degree you can continue to provide this.
If it comes to treatment be sure to avail yourself of any support groups offered as part of the treatment plan.
My hat is off to you grandparents raising grandchildren. Check out the internet under the heading 'Grandparents raising grandchildren Resources" if you haven't all ready.
Best of luck
Mark Manley
Mark Manley and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you