How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark Manley Your Own Question
Mark Manley
Mark Manley, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 402
Experience:  Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. Over 15 years exp. Married 30 years and happy.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Mark Manley is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son Bryan is 34, he is living with me, his mother,

Resolved Question:

My son Bryan is 34, he is living with me, his mother, because his wife threw him out. He has never held down a job for more then a month or two. He has a daughter and two step sons. Bryan drinks all the time, he is 210lbs and 6'1", and very angry at everyone. He threatens to seriously injure people and sometimes himself. I don't want to throw him out, but I don't know what I can do?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Mark Manley replied 5 years ago.
You have one of the hardest situations a person can face in life. You are a caring mother of an adult person with Bipolar Disorder and Alcohol Dependence.
The goal is to get him off his self medication regimen (alcohol) and on to regular psychiatric care including a supervised medication regimen.
You will need education, support and coaching to have the best chance of accomplishing this task.
A good place to start is to contact this is the web site for the National Alliance on Mental Illness. This organization provides assistance to people who are in your position.
Keep in mind your power to effect your son is limited so you can not personally assure his stabilization. Do the best you can and don't blame your self.
Support for you is crucial.
Best of success to you and your son.
Mark Manley
Mark Manley and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you