How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5808
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just scored very high (107) on an aDHD test. I had huge depression

Resolved Question:

I just scored very high (107) on an aDHD test. I had huge depression and anxiety problems for the past 3 years and have always hyperactive and with serious mood changes. The doctors I have seen want to stop at depression/anxiety even if I asked to be tested for bipolar and ADHD. What should I do?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.


In order to help provide you with the best answer possible, I need to clarify your question.


You mentioned seeing doctors for your depression and anxiety. What kind of doctors have you seen- psychiatrists or GPs?


When they diagnosed you, did they do anything for you besides provide medication?



Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have seen both types. I got medication and counseling. My depression got much better but I still cannot focus on long projects and I am extremely irritable and short tempered. My lack of concentration ability is killing me as I am the only provider for my family.
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

I am surprised that you were not evaluated better if you saw a psychiatrist. If you are experiencing a severe lack of concentration, then you are in need of help to resolve this problem.


If you are able, you may want to consider having another evaluation done by a mental health professional. A therapist can help provide you with a full evaluation that includes a screening for ADHD. You can find a therapist by searching on line at Your local community mental health center can also help. Contact the United Way for information. They will know all the resources in your area that can help you.


Counseling can help with both Bipolar and ADHD, but both of these disorders are best treated with medication, with counseling as a support to help you to cope with symptoms. Since you have taken an ADHD test, you are somewhat familiar with the symptoms ADHD causes. Here are a few more:


Hyper focus- Although you may feel distracted by things that do not interested you, you may become totally absorbed by things that do interest you.


struggling to complete tasks, even simple ones


missing important details


trouble listening and remembering details


You may feel disorganized and frustrated, and feel impulsive.


Bipolar is related to depression but is marked by severe highs and lows. Here is a link to help you understand Bipolar better:


Along with the medications and counseling, support groups can also go a long way in helping you find better ways to cope. The Helpguide link above has support groups listed as well as the United Way will know about ones in your community. So the first step is a diagnosis to confirm whether or not you have either diagnosis then treatment and support to help you learn to cope.


I hope this has helped you,



Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was hoping for a possibility of more evaluation now. I have gone to many doctors, some treat me for depression, some give me a lot of advise to get some more help but noone administered a tests other than what I can find on the Internet.
Parts of your answer help and make me even more convinced I have ADHD.
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

If you want to tell me more about your symptoms, I can provide my best guess. However, doing an evaluation on line without being able to see you face is not as accurate. Evaluations in mental health are based on more than just a list of symptoms. There are other factors involved.


Tell me more about your symptoms for both disorders and include how long you have had the symptoms. Then I can provide you with my best estimate of what may be happening with you.




Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You are right and I should not have hoped I can solve this online. I am desperate though and I tried
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Can I help you any further?



Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No. I think not
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

I am sorry you felt my answer was not helpful. I am willing to help, but I need to stay within the boundaries of my profession.


If you decide to change your mind, I am willing to go over your symptoms with you to see what we can come up with as possible diagnosis for you. Let me know.






TherapistMarryAnn and 2 other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you