Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
46062601

I actually asked him if he would see a therapist with me and

Customer Question

I actually asked him if he would see a therapist with me and he said he'd think about it. I can't help but feel pathetic for wanting to do it so young (we are both 24). Do young people go to couples' counseling? Thank you for your helpful response.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.
I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
Yes, young people may go to couple therapy.
Could you explain your situation a little more?
Is there a specific question I can assist you with?
Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Warm Regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This was my original question-- a second opinion would be great.

I have a history of snooping on my boyfriend of three years. I used to snoop through his phone but stopped when it almost broke us up. I recently have been snooping through his e-mail, and told him about it last night when he confronted me. He is incredibly hurt and I don't know what to do. He has been trying to have cybersex with girls and send them money. He is flirtatious which is I think part of what makes me insecure. I don't know why I keep doing this and I need an outside opinion.

Already Tried:
I've tried stopping but I always start again.
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your response.
I will be back with my answer.
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for waiting.
I am sorry to hear about your situation.
Your behavior or habit of snooping through his phone may have to do with his problematic behavior.
You stated that "he has been trying to have cybersex with girls and send them money."
Also, he flirts with girls.
It's natural for you to feel anxious and insecure about his behavior.
You may not be able to overcome your feelings of insecurity unless your boyfriend tells you he won't flirt with them again and allow you to read his communications with others for a while.
If you are able to trust him, you may stop this easily.
However, it sounds like you may have difficulty trusting him, so you may continue checking his phone.

Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,

P.S. Please remember to click the green ACCEPT button. You do not get charged twice; I will continue to answer your question whenever I am back online; my goal is to get you the best answers possible. If I can be of further help with any issue, just put "for Dr. Olsen" in the front of your new question. All the best, Dr. Olsen