How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Mark Your Own Question
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5334
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Mark is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is 33 years old. He has battled with opiate addiction

Resolved Question:

My son is 33 years old. He has battled with opiate addiction for at least 10 years now; stemming from a bad car accident years ago and doctors had him on oxycoden; back surgery; the list goes on. The addiction has consumed his life...feels hopeless;. What is the name of the rehab place that dr. Phil recommends. 30 days is not enough; and is there some place he can get financial help for this. Not sure what else to do. Thank you
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for writing in here.
I am so sorry to hear about your 33 year-old son's situation.
It sounds like your son has had opiate addiction problems.
He may also be depressed.
Yes, he may need ongoing treatment for drug abuse/dependence problems.
First of all, drug abuse treatment is a priority, though he may need treatment for depression and other medical condition too.
He may need to work with a certified drug counselor, a psychologist specializing in addiction, and a psychiatrist.
You may call his insurance company and get a list of providers (a certified drug counselor, and a psychologist) in your area.
Or, you can search a licensed psychologist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to ( and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as addiction and depression. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Cognitive-behavior therapy and addiction. You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that he wants to work with – Male or female? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you and he can see it as an informational meeting. You and he can ask any question and negotiate psychotherapy fee.
If he has no health insurance and need a low fee counseling,
you may call The United Way toll free # 211 (dial 2-1-1) to find community mental health centers in his area where he can have drug counseling for a low fee.
Also, he will benefit from attending a support group for adults with drug problems. Free social support recovery groups are available in nearly every community and can used as a supplement to a more comprehensive outpatient treatment. If you like to find a support group for him, check Mental Health America website section ( - Find a group in your area.
I hope your son gets help and support from a drug counselor, a psychologist, and a psychiatrist.
Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What is the name of the place Dr. Phil recommends?
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 years ago.

Hi! I believe I can be of help with this issue.

Dr. Phil recommends La Hacienda Treatment Center:

I have to warn you that La Hacienda is very expensive. It is in the $28,000 a month range. However, most national rehab centers are in the $18,000 and up range. Rehab is very expensive in general. Insurance will cover a portion of it for a limited amount of time. Local centers can be less expensive but still in the thousands.

La Hacienda is a 12 step based program as most rehab centers are. The advantage is the controlled environment and the constant attention by trained staff. That is what separates the various centers.

Okay, I wish you the very best!

Please remember to click the green accept button because: even though you have made a deposit, I do not get paid for my time unless you press ACCEPT. Feel free to continue the discussion as my goal is to get you the best answer possible. You can continue the discussion even after pressing ACCEPT. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue, just put "for Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, ***** *****

Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5334
Experience: Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice
Dr. Mark and 2 other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you