How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ask Eleanor Your Own Question
Ask Eleanor
Ask Eleanor, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1517
Experience:  Marriage & Family Therapist/Prof. Counselor for 20 years
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Ask Eleanor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I only have only one question. I am 59 years and am on

Customer Question

I only have only one question. I am 59 years and am on Medicare due to issues. I get $ 1700/month. My husband is 79 years and also on Medicare getting 1550/month. Should my husband predecease me will I be eligible to any part of his current Medicare benefits?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ask Eleanor replied 5 years ago.
Ask Eleanor :

Hello, I am here for you and am happy to respond. Let's clarify first. I believe you are asking about Social Security, not Medicare as there are no monthly payments associated with Medicare. I imagine that you have SSI benefits and your husband has regular Social Security benefits. Am I correct?

Ask Eleanor :

Just checking back for your response, dear. Will check again later this afternoon.


I need to know explicitly if a regular SS the recievor dies will his disabled wife (getting social security disabiltiy) - does that surviving spouse who is disabled qualify for a portion of his (regular SS). Your answer identified my confusion of social security and medicare. Specifically I am looking for answers about about social security.

Ask Eleanor and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Ask Eleanor replied 5 years ago.

Hello, dear, I am pleased that my previous response helped you. Thank you for your accept. Your disability payments are in the same amount as your Social Security check will be when you reach full retirement age, which I imagine is 66. If your husband pre-deceases you, you are entitled to either his benefits or yours, whichever is the higher amount. In order to get a definitive answer call SS tomorrow at the number in the information below. They are always very helpful. Good luck and take care, Eleanor

Receive benefits from deceased ex-spouse's record

Updated 09/28/2011 10:58 AM | ID# ***** Can I receive benefits on my deceased ex-spouse's record?

You can receive benefits as a surviving divorced spouse on the Social Security record of a deceased former spouse who is fully insured. If you:

  • Are at least age 60, or age 50 and disabled;
  • Were married to the former spouse for at least 10 years;
  • Are not entitled to a higher Social Security benefit on your own record; and
  • Are unmarried, unless the following exception applies: You remarried after age 60; or after age 50 and at the time of re-marriage you were entitled to Social Security disability benefits.

The benefits paid to a surviving divorced spouse will not affect the benefit amount paid to other family members who receive benefits on the same record.

You can apply or get an estimate of benefits online or by calling

1-***-***-**** 1-***-***-**** (TTY 1-***-***-****)

1-***-***-**** 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Related Mental Health Questions