MrsRuss0114
MrsRuss0114, LCSW
Experience:  B.A. Psychology; MSW; LCSW; HS-BCP
56136667

I'm 59 years old and have become very reclusive and my condo

Customer Question

I'm 59 years old and have become very reclusive and my condo unit has become very messy and chaotic, quite overwhelming in fact. I feel unmotivated to clean/organize my place and rather embarassed to get someone to help me clean. How do I get out of my rut?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  MrsRuss0114 replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing just answer, I look forward to assisting you.
Can you identify when your situation became what it is and what caused it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have always been somewhat shy and introverted a loner of sorts, but about 3 years ago I had broken up from a 6 year relationship which I had invested a lot of time and energy and emotion and money. I had not dated since.
I think you definitely have to start with your living space. I know you said that you've tried to clean but you find that you have no real motivation and/or desire to do so, trust me, you are not alone in that :). Something I tell my clients which I've had to do myself personally is start with something small. For instance if every room in your home is out of control, start with the smallest room or the room that is the least out of control. If it's your bedroom, you can start with something as simple as making sure you make the bed every morning and do that for a week or so. Once you're able add something else in that same space (putting laundry away, gathering any loose paperwork and setting it aside in a pile to go through later...). Once you've gotten that space together, you can move on (same concept) to another until you've de-cluttered your environment. That in itself should help you to feel more relaxed and less chaotic.
Please feel free to write to me if you should need further assistance on this or any other matters in the future! I wish you the best of luck!