How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Olsen Your Own Question
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2336
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Olsen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How does a divorced dad get help for his depressed live-in 24 yr old son who says in his r

This answer was rated:

How does a divorced dad get help for his depressed live-in 24 yr old son who says in his room, no social life, job or exercise or drive to get out of rut room. Been like this 3 mo, family history of depression.
Mike B.
Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.
I'm sorry to hear about your son's situation.
Let me ask you a few questions first.
When did his behavior start?
Is he open to counseling?
Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Warm Regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Self-isolation as been for last 5+ years, except he went to NYC for about 3 months to assist my soon-to-be--ex wife's manic sister in remembeing to eat, sleep, etc. Neither found a job, so she went to Denver, son returned home. He seems more isolated now than usual, but I was out of house for 10 mo until my soon-to-be ex moved into an Apt and I returned to the house. Soon-to-be-ex has been depressed for last decade plus.

I don't know about open to counseling in person. Online more likely, as IM or another email account he has not shared may be mode of communication with outside world. He is a very smart/perceptive person and it would take a skilled therapist to make a connecton. Attempt a decade ago failed. Dasn will come out of room and assist me with specific projects if asked, but not something like "Will you please mow the lawn every weekend."
Mike B,.
Hi Mike
Thank you for waiting.
I am sorry to hear about your 24 year-old son's situation.
It sounds like he may have been depressed for several years as he has been socially withdrawn, has no job, unmotivated for an activity.
He may have to see his primary care doctor for a physical check-up to detect and rule out any medical condition.
If he is physically fine, he may need to work with a psychologist specializing in depression.

Depression can disrupt the nerve impulses that carry a constant stream of orders from the brain to the muscles. When the depressed brain slows down, so do the signals to all parts of body. Depression affects MEMORY, problem-solving ability, language, perception and is accompanied by nervous tension, anxiety, and profound fatigue. It can generate pain and aches. If untreated over time, Depression may cause Psychosis. Medical reasons for Depression may include thyroid hormone abnormality, Vitamin B12 Deficiency, Chronic pain, Stroke (Brain injury), Alzheimer’s disease, other medical problems such as kidneys, heart, lung, epilepsy, migraine headaches, brain injury. Malnutrition/brain damage can dull mood further. Excessive alcohol use may aggravate depression. Some medication can cause or contribute to depression. His doctor should know all the medication that he is taking.

I also advise him to see a psychotherapist/psychologist to express and process your feelings and thoughts and get advice and support WEEKLY.

A combination of psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy are considered to be effective to treat Depression.
Cognitive-behvaior therapy (CBT) will work for depression.

You may ask his doctor for a psychologist/psychotherapist that he can work with weekly. Or you may call his insurance company and get a list of providers in your area.

Or, you can search a licensed psychologist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to ( and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as Depression. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Cognitive-behavior therapy. You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that he wants to work with – Male or female? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you can see it as an informational meeting. You can ask any question and negotiate psychotherapy fee.

If he has no health insurance or seek a low fee counseling, you may call The United Way toll free # XXXXX (Dial 2-1-1)to find the community mental health centers in your area in which he can get counseling even without health insurance.

In addition, stress reduction and relaxation techniques such as yoga, swimming, biofeedback, acupuncture, meditation and massage therapy may be helpful for him to reduce stress and promote relaxation in his body.

If he refuses psychotherapy at the office, he may work with a psychotherapist online.
Some online sites like, and have a list of licensed therapists who offer sessions via phone, Skype and online chat.

Also, there are support groups websites. The Daily Strength ( offer support groups for people with a variety of problems including depression. He may join a support group if he prefers.

I hope your son gets help from his doctor, a psychotherapist, family and friends.

Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,

P.S. Please remember to click the green ACCEPT button. You do not get charged twice; I will continue to answer your question whenever I am back online; my goal is to get you the best answers possible. If I can be of further help with any issue, just put "for Dr. Olsen" in the front of your new question. All the best, XXXXX XXXXX
Dr. Olsen and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for responding. When discussed a few minutes ago, son says a therapist is a waste of time and money and is not interested. He was on bipolar meds a decade ago and quit them cold turkey because of how they affected him. So, it looks lik I get to call the county social services for a home visit even though he is not intrested, and see what happens.
Mike B.
Hi Mike
Thank you for your response.
Okay. I hope your son changes his mind and gets help from a psychotherapist after a social worker visits your home.
All the best,
Dr. Olsen