How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mina Your Own Question
Mina, Clinical Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 188
Experience:  Working as a Highly Specialist Clinical Psychologist in NHS. Experience in both children and adults
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Mina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son has just experienced a Mental Health Crisis, going missing

Resolved Question:

My son has just experienced a Mental Health Crisis, going missing for over a week, roaming the countryside and sleeping outdoors due to paranoia in london.
He is now staying at his grandparents place where he feels safe but we are having trouble accessing mental health assessment/services as he is not registered with a GP down there.
Can we take him to A&E and try and get an initial assessment there even though this crisis has subsided at present?

Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Mina replied 5 years ago.

I am sorry to hear about the difficulties you are having with your son. There is nothing preventing you from taking him to an A&E. However, there is a chance that they may turn him down if he does not present with any symptoms. You would need to make a list of his behaviors before you went there so you can give them a good idea about his condition. However, there is a chance as I said that they may not see him. In that case, you would probably be advised that if you are alarmed again you could possibly call an ambulance. If A&E accepted him, then they would most likely make the referral to the crisis intervention team if they felt that this is needed.

I would therefore suggest you took him to A&E and speak to someone about him nd how concerned you are about his wellbeing.

I wish you all the best

Mina and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you