How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5808
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son suffers from anorexia he is seeing a councillor and

Resolved Question:

My son suffers from anorexia he is seeing a councillor and has been for 6 months. Things don t seem to be getting any better, although he is controlling his binge eating, he is still losing weight and now weighs under 8 stone at 28 years of age and 5ft 10inches. Do you think he needs mnore help than the Councillor seems to be giving, she is an expert, but I have no idea how soon progress should begin
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.


It sounds like your son needs more than just a counselor. If he began struggling with anorexia in his teens like most, then he has had the disorder for a while now. The longer a person goes without treatment, the more difficulty they will have overcoming the problem.


At this point, your son needs more support, starting with his medical condition. If he is not seeing a doctor already, then he should be under the supervision of one. His health needs monitored and the doctor should be determining if your son is digressing and if he may need hospitalization to bring his weight back up.


He also needs nutritional counseling to learn more healthy eating patterns and how to get the best nutritional possible.


He may also want to try medications. There are no medications for anorexia itself, but if your son feels depressed or anxious and it is contributing to his problem, then medications may help lift his mood and calm him.


Support groups may also be another way for your son and you to get support and ideas about how to help himself. Here are some resources for him:


The Anorexia Workbook: How to Accept Yourself, Heal Your Suffering, and Reclaim Your Life by Michelle Heffner, Georg H. Eifert and Steven C. Hayes


Skinny Boy: A Young Man's Battle and Triumph Over Anorexia by Gary A. Grahl


Progress with anorexia can be very slow. And often it can take many years or even a lifetime of battling to deal with anorexia. But with the best treatment possible and some motivation, your son can make a difference in his recovery. Arming himself with resources and places to turn when he feels his anorexia getting the best of him will help him overcome. Your support and efforts also make a big difference. You and your family may also want to consider counseling to help you deal with the stress and come together to find more ways to help your son.


I hope this has helped you,

TherapistMarryAnn and 2 other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions