How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask mindhealer Your Own Question
mindhealer, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 693
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
mindhealer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 24 year old son is suffering from Depersonalization and

Customer Question

my 24 year old son is suffering from Depersonalization and is in a terrible state. We have been to many dr's and clinics and no one understands what he is going through. Do you have any thoughts on what we should do. Thank you kindly,
Mindy marcus
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  mindhealer replied 6 years ago.

Good evening and welcome to Just Answer! First please allow me to say that I am sincerely ***** ***** hear of the difficulty that your son is experiencing and likely the difficulty you're having in seeing him suffering. I would very much like to help you. I would be truly beneficial if you could provide me with further information with regards ***** ***** depersonalization. Such as the event or events which brought it on (trauma, etc), how often it presents (how frequent are the episodes) and finally if you could explain in further detail the specific characteristics that are apparent when he does depersonalize.

This additional level of detail will help me to formulate a more comprehensive answer for you and to offer you the most appropriate referrals and recommendations. Thank you very much for the opportunity to help you during this difficult time and I look forward to your response. I hope that this finds you well.

mindhealer and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  mindhealer replied 6 years ago.
Good afternoon. I saw that you accepted the answer before I could give a complete answer. If you could please provide me with the additional information requested I'd greatly appreciate it. That way I can offer you a greater degree of insight into his condition and offer treatment options and specific recommendations. Thank you and I look forward to your response.
mindhealer and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My son is 24, in 2008 he was diagnosed with Depersanalization. He is dissoriented, no feelings in his body,can't focus, feels like he is going to die, have a heartattack, negative thoughts, siezure, phobias,can't work or go to school, life is over, has turned to probably depression, dizzy all the time. he has been on klonopin for 3 yrs. It has done nothing and now he is addicted and cannot get off of them. has seen many dr.s and been to many clinics. no one understand what he is going through. they put him on an anti depressant right away and he feels worse and then stops the new meds. He has never had a trauma and will be the first to admit it. once 5 years ago a breakup with a girl he wanted to marry. this is sad and it's been a very long 3 years. he is the nicest boy, tons of friends, loved college, fraternity, played 5 intermural sports, loves his family. hard watching everyone have a normal life and his stopped 3 years ago. we don't know where to turn from here. who can we contact or where can we go for help. he has never taken drugs, does not smoke or drink. thank you, ***** *****
Expert:  mindhealer replied 6 years ago.
Thank you very much for your detailed answer. I'm truly sorry for the pain that he's experiencing. Based on the detailed responses you provided it actually sounds as if the breakup itself was traumatic enough to start his symptoms. The characteristics you've identified are consistent with a sub threshold trauma...which basically means that he's experienced one but does not have all of the symptoms to diagnose PTSD. Likely the most effective treatment would be a multi-modal approach. Essentially, he would benefit from seeing an addictionologist which is a psychiatrist who is especially trained in addiction issues to help taper your son off the klonopin while using a replacement medication to both help with the withdrawal as well as with the resulting anxiety.
I would also suggest that he see a trauma therapist to have a comprehensive assessment to truly decipher the nature of his symptoms as well as the most effectively form of treatment. Given his presenting symptoms he would likely respond well to trauma focused--cognitive behavior therapy given the deeper exploration into one's thoughts and the resulting emotions and behaviors.
This would also help the physical feelings you identified him as having which are indicative of frequent panic attacks. I hope this helps you get a better understanding as to how to help your son and please feel free to ask any further questions you may have.