Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.
25396616

Bipolar Mixed Episode Delusions? I am diagnosed Bipolar I

Bipolar Mixed Episode Delusions? I am diagnosed Bipolar I Manic-Depressive. I had an extreme "mixed episode" in which my energy was at manic levels, but the mood was severely depressed and angry. I was convinced that my best friend wanted to end our relationship. Nothing anyone told me, including reassurance from my friend, would shake me from the conviction that I was losing her friendship. I called her ten times a day or more. The situation became worse and I was convinced she was dead or dying, though there was no cause for me to believe this, so I called local hospitals to find her. I have huge memory gaps of this time; my wife was the witness who provided much of the details. My psych-doctor told me I was psychotic delusional. I'd like your opinion.
Dr. Ed Wilfong :

Having episodes of impaired judgments, anger, depression, lost memory are common during severe phases. Having temporary delusions is also common, but not a seperate condition. Don't take a delusion incident as necessarily a new diagnosis when it is during a manic-depressive phase. It was like a psychotic episode but not a psychotic disorder caused by your manic depression. I would talk to psychiatrist about medications as you shouldn't have those breaks of that severity if medicated properly.

Customer:

I understand the difference between psychosis as part of an affective disorder, and a psychotic illness per se. Based upon the information I gave you, I wanted to know if the "brand" psychotic features seemed appropriate in my case.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

Sorry taking so long. Site went down and have to start over......

Customer:

that's OK

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

Try 3 here......Was ready to post and my battery died. Not a good day here.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

So I'll post in shorter segment.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

THe fact you had this during a M/D severe episode points to a manic depressive psychotic incident.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

The nature of it is a bit unusual, and I am sure you know there are some common delusions, but anything could have trigger this.