How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5810
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband tryed to shoot him self the gun miss fired. he

Resolved Question:

my husband tryed to shoot him self the gun miss fired. he laughed. he told the phsy at the va and she gave him a gaf score of 50 and said he had good judgementand insight. he is 70% PTSD I think she is wrong please help
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like your husband had a very poor evaluation. It does not matter what his GAF score is, he needs to be admitted into the hospital. He tried to kill himself which means he needs treatment as soon as possible.

Can you take him to the emergency room? He should be evaluated and the counselor/nurse needs to determine if your husband is still a threat to himself. If he is, he can be admitted. If he refuses to go into the hospital for treatment on his own, he can be forced. A 302 is a legal commitment that can force him to be admitted against his will. It has to be done by the person who saw or heard him say that he wants to kill himself.

Once your husband is admitted, he would be evaluated further and treatment would be offered. This includes medication, individual and group therapy. He will be referred to outpatient therapy once he is discharged. Appointments can be set up for him by a social worker from the hospital.

If your husband has PTSD, this is contributing to how he feels. No one can be partially PTSD. Either you have symptoms or you don't. You can have some symptoms, but you still would be considered PTSD.

I hope this has helped you,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
this happen over 6 months ago i just need her to start giving my better gaf scores. he as gone to the va and received help for the gun thing. he is better. but now about the gaf score it is important on his clam. we have been on the penison for 100% depresson and memory lost, a&a. but he has 70% for ptsd and we filed for 100% unemployaiblity. he has not able to work 2004 100% penison. she has some problem about understanding about the gaf scores she thinks good judgement memory insight has to go with the meds if he is taking them. that is what she told me. how can i get over to her how important the gaf score is for the va.
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

If you gain a better understanding of the GAF, it would help you justify increasing your husband's score. That way, you can talk to the clinician about why you feel his score needs to be higher and have the facts to back it up.

Here is a link to help you with the GAF:

You can also explain why you and your husband need a higher score for the VA. Sometimes clinicians have some wiggle room and can change their findings somewhat. But the clinician still needs to be honest about her findings so she may not be able to change them too much.

Also, consider a second opinion. You may find another clinician has a different opinion that benefits your husband.


If you feel your answered helped, please click on the green ACCEPT button. Experts are not reimbursed for their work unless you accept. Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
maybe i need to talk to a lawer in va
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

I will opt out so you can have another Expert help you. You can also have your question referred to the legal section of Just Answer, if you wish. Contact the moderator for assistance.


TherapistMarryAnn and 2 other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions