How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Ed Wilfong Your Own Question
Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1528
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Ed Wilfong is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do you help a women who has been sexually abused that

Resolved Question:

How do you help a women who has been sexually abused that wants to have a family and kids get over an issue of seeing or feeling a man naked. I know time and counseling but what can a boyfriend do to help?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 5 years ago.
Dr. Ed Wilfong :

A few things, mostly being patient, which you obviously are. You are doing the right things. Let her set the limits until she feels safe. You are kind to see her through this. Her behavior tells me her abuse was really BAD. I would expect it to take a year or two before you see significant progress. I can tell you know this is not her fault. She is obviously trying. Be sensitive, but don't try to be her therapist. As you said, time and counseling, probably more than you may expect. Ask her what would help.

Dr. Ed Wilfong and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you