Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I am self-employed, and whilst business is quite busy I am

Customer Question
struggling to motivate myself and...
I am self-employed, and whilst business is quite busy I am struggling to motivate myself and feel generally down\depressed\sad. I enjoy my job, when I am 100% motivated, but I have these "feeling sorry for myself" feelings which prevent me from doing what I am good at! I struggle to get out of bed, as even though I have plenty of work on, I get out of bed feeling negative and generally demotivated to succeed. Although, I am extremely ambitious and believe that I will be a huge success one day. From the moment I begin work, I just look forward to finishing work, putting my feet up with a bottle of wine and watching television... I have taken online depression tests, but they don't really make much sense to me. I don't know what it is though. I have struggled financially, but I have just back off holiday and I just feel so down... Please help. Best, Eddie.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mental Health
9/7/2011
Mental Health Professional: Mina, Clinical Psychologist replied 6 years ago
Mina
Mina, Clinical Psychologist
Hi Eddie,

I read your post and I understand that you feel disapointed in yourself for feeling disapointed with your life, if that makes sense. You describe some very common syptoms of depression e.g. feeling low, unmotivated. We are not talking about clinical depression but perhaps a depressive state that you are going through at the moment and this can happen to many people in the everyday life. The important thing for you is to understand what you are thinking of, that makes you feel low and unmotivated. There is definately a thought that makes you feel low and unless we know what this is, you will not be able to understand why you are feeling like this. Try and explore what is happening in your life at the moment and what is not satisying you. Is it to do with any relationships?do you feel confident in yourself or is there something that you would like to change about yourself? When does your mind wander and what is it that you find yourslef thinking about when you are on your own? How is everything else in your life?

It may not have to do with your work but again you would know best. It is important to accept that this is how you feel at the moment and this is still you. However, it would help greatly if you could idenify the thought that is behind the disatisfaction and the low mood.

Let me know if this makes sense and feel free to answer or add anything to your post

All the best

Mina

If you like
Mina
Mina, Clinical Psychologist
Mina
Mina
Mina, Clinical Psychologist