TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

Trazodone says it is a SARI (serotonin antagonist & reuptake

Customer Question

Trazodone says it is a SARI (serotonin antagonist & reuptake inhibitor). If I am taking paxil now (ssri) are they similar? in what they do regarding serotonin?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 6 years ago.

I am sorry about that. I am not as familiar with the SARI's. I work a lot more with the SSRI's. Since I am not as familiar with the SARI's and I would like you to have the best answer possible, I am going to opt out of your answer so another expert with more experience with SARI's can respond.

Kate

TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 6 years ago.
SSRI's are drugs such as Paxil. The block the re-uptake of Serotonin, which effectively increases the amount of serotonin available in the synapse. Trazadone is one of 2 SARI's which are Serotonin/Antagonist re uptake inhibitors. SARI's not only slow re-uptake but also block action of serotonin at 5HT2A receptors, one of the many types of serotonin receptors, in addition to blocking histamine 1 and alpha 1 receptors. The blockade of 5HT2A may account for trazadone being sedating.
Often an SSRI at a therapeutic dose is combine with Trazadone at a low dose so Trazadone can assist with sedation and hopefully anxiety. Although Trazadone and SSRI's should not be both used at therapeutic doses, It is common practice to add Trazadone in low dose with SSRI. (Therapeutic dose of trazadone is 300 mg - most people cannot tolerate that much sedation. Use at 25-50mg is common practice and safe with SSRIs). SARIs are seldom used alone for depression. I made this response to your previous question.