cathy
cathy, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  MS., MS.Ed., 30 years clinical and administrative experience in psychiatry and mental health
25773729

Details of a private sector psychiatrist that deals with

Customer Question

Details of a private sector psychiatrist that deals with Complex Asthma related stress in the UK or online based UK or USA.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  cathy replied 5 years ago.
cathy :

Hi and thanks for writing JA. Please clarify this question for us, since psychiatrists do not usually deal with asthma and usually use medicine and not therapy to treat we need some clarification on this. Since you are not seeking a pulmonary specialist who would also prescribe medicine it is confusing to read your post. Thanks so much for the clarification so we can best help you from JA. Warm regards, Cathy

Customer:

I was misdiagnosed with three diffferent psychiatric conditions over the last three years. The first one was psychosis, the second was schizophrenia and the third a panic disorder in the space of three years. More recently all of thes diagnosis have been dismissed and now been attributed to this confusing complex asthma condition.

Customer:

These continous misdiagnosis have caused serious problems in obtaining employment, obtaining benefit for the duration of being classed with these mental health problems and what is more concerning is three mental health problems all of which have now been dismissed or attributed to a wrong diagnosis .

cathy :

Hi and thanks for writing back so promptly. I am not entirely certain how one could mistake a psychotic episode for an asthma condition, although I can easily see how panic disorder might be misdiagnosed. Can you give us additional information about the episode in which you were misdiagnosed as psychotic? perhaps then I can guide you to the best resource on this> Thank you, Cathy

Customer:

Basically I left employment in 2007 with an excaberation of asthma and this was placed on the sick note, ever since this matter I struggled to get jobs for no apparent reason. March 2008 following a chest infection I was diagnosed with complex asthma and was put on several different types of asthma medication, seen by a asthma nurse practitioner only not a consultant. Still unable to claim any benefits and simulatenously wrote to the gp in August 2008 with concerns about oxygen related psychosis, I was refered to the mental health team who did not help. In February 2009 I was placed under a section 3 diagnosed with schizophrenia. I demanded a second opinion and was advised one month later it was oxygen related psychosis, I was then followed up in September 2010 by the mental health team whilst resuming back to work; working 70 hours a week and undertaking postgraduate studies to be advised it was oxygen psychotic epsiode. Discharged in September 2010 and now have been advised that I I only have Complex Asthma

cathy :

Okay, thanks for that explanation. Oxygen related psychosis is a new term for me but moreover I would like to refer you to an excellent JA expert who has expertise in the UK. Norrie has been a wonderful resource for many of our clients and I am going to ask him if he can take over this question for me. It might take a few hours to get a response as we work in different time zones, but its important to us that you get the best possible answer from JA. So let me opt out and refer you to Norrie and I wish you all the very best on this. Take good care and feel better soon. Cathy

cathy :

I have sent Norrie an email to let him know that he should read this question when he signs on. Best wishes to you. Cathy

Customer:

Thank you .

Customer:

Closed