Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

The best place for and alcoholic to become sober. My

Customer Question
The best place for...
The best place for and alcoholic to become sober. My daughter is a closet alcoholic. She has to get drunk every night to be able to sleep.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mental Health
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/1/2011
Mental Health Professional: Dr. G., Psychologist replied 6 years ago
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Dr. G. :

Does she want help?

Customer:

I feel if I mention I will see that she could go somewhere where she can get professional help over a period of time away from her situation she might accept the offer.

Customer:

I have not rceived an answer.

Dr. G. :

Well that would be the first step and quite possibly the easiest step. If she is willing to go voluntarily then great. If she is unwilling then you might be at a loss.

Customer:

Would you kindly give me the name of a place that she could go to and get the help she needs?

Dr. G. :

I will give you a website where you can find treatment centers near your location. samhsa.gov

Dr. G. :

on the right side of the page is treatment center locator

Customer:

Thanks

Dr. G. :

youw ant at least a 30 day treatment facility

Dr. G. :

Can you navigate the website ok

Customer:

How do I get to see the right side of the page?

Dr. G. :

on their home webpage

Dr. G. :

on the right hand column

Customer:

Excuse me but on whose webpage?

Dr. G. :

find it?

Dr. G. :

need any help

Customer:

Isn't there one closer? I live in New Orleans, La.

Dr. G. :

that is where i am from

Dr. G. :

Do you know about River Oaks in Harahan

Customer:

Yes but that is a mental hospital., Isn't it?

Dr. G. :

Both. Copy and paste this website and you will see more center.

Dr. G. :

just click on it

Dr. G. :

did you get it

Customer:

How do I check out the rating on each place?

Dr. G. :

there is no particular rating. visit there websites and see if it meets her needs. the only requirment I would recommend is that she stay there for at least 30 days.

Customer:

I would tthink one would have better result than another. Am I wrong in this thinking?

Dr. G. :

It is going to come down to how much effort she puts in. Most substance abuse treatment centers offer the same curriculum. She can go to the top notch center and come out drinking again. It just depends on how much she wants to quit and if she follows the program.

Dr. G. :

you guys can visit those places and see which one she likes best

Customer:

Thank you for your help.

Dr. G. :

you are welcome

Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Dr. G.
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist