Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I am very depressed and feel the need to do something about

Customer Question
it. I have a child...
I am very depressed and feel the need to do something about it. I have a child and I do not think I can go into a hospital but I think it might be what is best. Also can that be used against me if his dad and I go to court? I feel like the only thing that is keeping me going is my son. I love him way to much to do anything bad.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mental Health
9/1/2011
Mental Health Professional: Doctor Kevin, Ph.D. replied 6 years ago
Doctor Kevin
Dr.Kappler :

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer! I am familiar with your situation and my first question is can you find anyone responsible who can take care of your child while you are there. If the answer is no then you need to talk to your psychiatrist to make sure all possible medications have been tried

Customer:

Yes, I could have my parents watch my child. Would anyone but my parents know I am there? Like work?

Dr.Kappler :

To answer your second question yes if you go to a hospital without making plans to take care of your child you will have CPS involved. That will also make a case in court that your mental illness prevents you from taking care of your child.

Customer:

What if I make plans for someone to watch my child for me while I am there?

Dr.Kappler :

Your parents are an excellent choice only if they will take care of your child adequately. That will show that "continuity of care" is maintained in the eyes of the court.

Dr.Kappler :

The same criteria are in place. The court looks at two things. Are you able to be a good mother and if you can recognize your need for help and make adequate plans for "conitnuity of care" for your child

Customer:

Yes they would be able to take care of my child adequately, so that would be a good choice. What would I do about work I have a full time position as a Medical Assistant and I work with my PCP so then he would know. I know with HIPPA he is not allowed to tell anyone but how does that work?

Dr.Kappler :

Tell your employer as little as possible. You might say that you need to stay with a friend on an emergency basis for a week or so. If you go to a mental hospital you can specify your boss is no0t to know, even if he is a doctor.

Customer:

What are your thoughts on where to go as in a hospital or seeing someone when I have time? I am to the point where I cry over everything nothing seems to make me happy other than my child. Tonight I am alone my child is with his father and all I can think about is I need help but I dont know where to start.

Dr.Kappler :

Before I went into a mental hospital I would definitely see a psychiatrist and see about medication. You also could benefit from seeing a therapist. Going to a mental hospital is always a last resort and usually offers no therapy and at best too much medication.

Customer:

where would you suggest to look for a therapist and psychiatrist? My boyfriend thinks I have bipolors what the difference from depression and bipolor. It is the highs and lows, right? but how do you know the difference?

Dr.Kappler :

The difference between being depressed and having a bipolar illness is simple. You are depressed when you have the following symptoms:

Dr.Kappler :

• you can’t sleep or you sleep too much

• you can’t concentrate or find that previously easy tasks are now difficult

• you feel hopeless and helpless

• you can’t control your negative thoughts, no matter how much you try

• you have lost your appetite or you can’t stop eating

• you are much more irritable, short-tempered, or aggressive than usual

• you’re consuming more alcohol than normal or engaging in other reckless behavior

• you have thoughts that life is not worth living (Seek help immediately if this is the case)

Dr.Kappler :

Being bipolar means that you have been depressed and also have gone through a manic phase.

Common signs and symptoms of mania include:

• Feeling unusually “high” and optimistic OR extremely irritable

• Unrealistic, grandiose beliefs about one’s abilities or powers

• Sleeping very little, but feeling extremely energetic

• Talking so rapidly that others can’t keep up

• Racing thoughts; jumping quickly from one idea to the next

• Highly distractible, unable to concentrate

• Impaired judgment and impulsiveness

• Acting recklessly without thinking about the consequences

• Delusions and hallucinations (in severe cases)

Dr.Kappler :

Finding a therapist depends on what you can afford and what is available to you. If you have insurance you can contact the company and find out who is on their panel in your area.

Customer:

okay I have insurance so I can just call them and find out. I will have to do that. what are your thoughts in this situation. Yesterday morning I got very upset because I was leaving before my child got on the school bus my boyfriend was with us and he was helping my son getting ready. I am not sure what set me off but I grab something strong and yelled at my boyfriend and felt like hitting him with it I did not hit him but it was up in the air where I could have. I am not even sure where it all began or how it even ended. All I know is that I got in my ar and drove to work.

Dr.Kappler :

I would recommend seeing a therapist first. They can assess your situation and see what to do next. If you see a psychiatrist you will inevitably just get some medication when you might need some anger management.

Customer:

okay because I am already on prozac and xanax. I have not missed any because I know how important it is to stay on track with those. I will see a therapist first. Does the Therapist do anger management too or does it depend on the person?

Dr.Kappler :

Most therapists will provide anger management. If you are in doubt ask them when you make an appointment.

Customer:

okay Thanks!

Dr.Kappler :
Doctor Kevin
Doctor Kevin
Doctor Kevin
Doctor Kevin, Ph.D.