TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

Child psychologist-What to do or not when your 8yr. old

child psychologist-What to do or not when your 8yr. old walks away & doesn't want to talk about anything sad & starts crying profusely- specially frightening dreams????
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

A child who cries, has nightmares and withdrawals usually has been through a trauma of some sort. They may have witnessed something or been traumatized themselves. There are many things than can affect a child in traumatizing ways. And depending on the child's sensitivities, one child can be more traumatized than another or have different coping mechanisms. Here are some possible traumas:

An illness in the family or a close friend

Neglect

Bullying

Abuse

Separation from a significant person i.e. parent who leaves

divorce of parents

death of someone close to them

a change in living circumstances such as a significant move to somewhere different than the child is used to

If you have tried to talk to your child and have not had any significant progress, do not give up. Being there for your child is important. You can find ways to be with them and offer support, even without talking. Take the child to a favorite place, spend time together fishing, getting an ice cream or in a park. Places and activities that help your child have a chance to bring up what is bothering them helps. Continue to attempt to comfort your child through physical contact like hugs or other ways such as sitting with them and just being there.

Your child would benefit from seeing a therapist. An evaluation to determine what may be happening will give you and your child answers and a way to address what is happening. To find a therapist, talk to your child's doctor for a referral. Or you can search on line at http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/.

You can also help by learning what you can about childhood trauma. That way, you have information to pull from when helping your child. Here are some resources to help you:

Sam Feels Better Now! An Interactive Story for Children by Jill Osborne and Kevin Collier

Lonely, Sad and Angry: How to Help Your Unhappy Child by Barbara D. Ingersoll PhD and Sam Goldstein PhD

When I Feel Sad (Way I Feel Books) by Cornelia Maude Spelman and Kathy Parkinson

You can find these books on Amazon.com or your local library may have them for you.

I hope this has helped,
Kate

I haven't heard from you. Did you have more questions or want clarification?

Kate